5mm 21,000 mcd LEDs?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
the max that you can get is about 29000 from a RED led... that Aglient manufacturers. (in 5 mm) @ 20 mA, 1.94 Volts.

ISP (of Korea) is another manufacturer, it has about 29,000 to 30,000 mcd... 5 mm led, BUT they require about 100 mA (5 times than what you have stated).

THanks & Regards,
ViReN

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Given the narrow beam angle it is certainly possible. They state the beam angle as +-7.5°. I hate when they specify beam angles this way. I'm assuming they mean 15° here. 21,000 mcd and 15° beam = ~ 1.13 lumens. Add about another 30% to account for what comes out the back and outside the main beam and we have ~1.45 lumens. Efficiency would then be about 24 lm/W going by their typical forward voltage figure of 3V. These are certainly plausible figures. Price is $0.84 shipped-a bit high for HK LEDs. ChiWing's new 15,000 mcd LED (also speced at 15° but in actuality their other LEDs seem to be closer to 20°) costs $39.00 for 100 pcs shipped. I'd be willing to be it puts out a comparable amount of total light even if the intensity is somewhat less.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used ChiWing's LED's and they sure are great buy.. for the cost that they have stated... and brightness is really good.... (i dont have any Lux meters at the moment) to measure the exact thing.... but 2 ChiWing = 1 Nicha (to my eyes)... yet its cheaper ... (at the expense of space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

It's also true that if you have a less degree angle more of the beam is focused to one point... which is what could probably make the lux meters read more....

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

jtr1962

Flashaholic
ChiWing sells on eBay. I've bought from them eight times so far. As Viren said, their whites may not be as bright as Nichia (although they're comparable to the two Nichia's I have from c. 2000) but for the price they can't be beat ($0.25 each for their 10,000 mcd white versus $1 or more for Nichia). As with their 10,000 mcd LEDs, the price on the 15,000 mcd will eventually drop within a few months (at which point they'll probably have 20,000 mcd selling at a premium). Since I don't need LEDs right now I'll just wait until then to try them out. Another person I've dealt with a few times is Spectrum LEDs, formerly known as noshankyhank. I've purchased from BestHongKong twice as well. Their greens are very bright, and their whites are quite similar to ChiWing's in both brightness and color, except with maybe very slightly more purple. Considering that I use large numbers of LEDs in projects, the only thing keeping it affordable are these low-priced HK LEDs.