Modulator(?) for laser pointer?

hpcjerry

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what it is called - one of those rotating mirror thingies that are used for laser shows that let you "draw" with the laser. I'm wondering if there is a super-minaturized version of something like that which would be feasible for use with a laser pointer?

I'd like to be able to use my greenie to "write" words on various large objects at night, but I want to be ultra-portable and discreet -- ideally just a little doodad attached to the end of the laser pointer itself, like the way a "silencer" attaches to the end of a pistol in the movies.

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
I've got one! I bought a red laser pointer in Turkey last year whilst on holiday, which has a tiny double mirror system in it. It just draws wobbly circles, but it's quite neat. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
They are also called "X-Y scanners" if the person who has/sells them does not know the term "galvanometer" or "galvo".

In their simplest form, galvos consist of two mirrors mounted to electromagnetic coils; one coil able to move on the X axis (moves back and forth) and the other able to move on the Y axis (moves up and down).
This does not include any of the necessary electronics for moving these mirrors.

The azimuth adjustment assembly in an old-style laser disk drive (the kind using a HeNe laser) is one example of this type of galvanometer.

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking the same thing, infact I went round Quazar's house last week with the same thoughts - anyone make a cheap portable battery powered scanner that would be suitable, i was thiking of cannabalising a laser crab? There's this thing but it's a tad expensive at $99 and I don't know if it can be modified easily. I did have fun trying it with some heads that came with a Quazar's red keyring laser pointer and managed to project a smiley face onto buildings and trees.

Crosman451

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of the Disco 240 things a couple of years ago with the same idea in mind. Here's a site where you can buy it cheaper...

http://xstatikgear.com/Merchant/minidiscolaser.htm

I did take it apart and removed the red laser module and was able to use it with my 300mW custom hand held unit.

Dsc00178.jpg

The Disco 240 is well built for the money and worth considering for a mod... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
I recognise that, it looks like the scanner from a laser printer (light bulb with idea written on it appears above my head!)!

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
That's pretty cool. Shining the laser at a mirror taped to a subwoofer cone is pretty cool too.

Quazar

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crosman451 said:
I did take it apart and removed the red laser module and was able to use it with my 300mW custom hand held unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

300mW, hand held. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do tell more.

Latest posts