Bwaites-MagCh,metal>C/D, plastic reflector

udaman

Banned
There seem to be endlessly reoccurring threads on this forum and the General Lights forum from newbie's and others about the Mag plastic reflector and using higher wattage bulbs in the MagC/D host. From reading the very long thread 285 Lumen Mag 2C, you get the ideal that any bulb that is more than about 10w output will generate enough heat to start to melt the plastic MagC/D reflector.

After constant and relentless pestering by yours truly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, Bwaites has acquiesced and provided me with instructions and pictures for a tutorial on how to remove a MagCharger metal reflector sleeve and place it into the plastic MagC/D reflector to allow the use of some higher wattage/current drawing (read: high heat producing) WA or Carley bulbs in the inexpensive MagC/D host. As Bwaites is swamped with other projects currently, I'm not sure he could provide you with a list of all the bulbs that would work in this situation...so the usual caveat, YMMV.

The MagCharger plastic & metal sleeve reflector assembly can be purchased at: Flashlight King-MC reflector assm$28 or Bright Guy-MC refl. as.$26 . Have fun modding; and maybe you can post results of bulbs that you find will work in this thread, as a central database for linking to the future threads that will invariably crop up over the next few years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

While the best solution for a protecting the MagC/D plastic reflector from melting is to replace it entirely with the very nice Otokoyama custom engineered cammed Carley aluminum reflector, alas, there was only a limited run of these made. See this thread for details: Otokoyama's thread-FS: The Perfect Mag Reflector Offer - CLOSED

Next best opinion, which would be more involved/difficult, might be to try adapting an aluminum Carley reflector yourself to retain the cammed operation by using the Carley set screw with a piece of cut PVC or other pipe. (Don't ask me about these mods, as I have not done them yet, awaiting other CPF member to provide the details). No promises from Bwaites, but if he will do another tutorial with pictures on the Carley reflector mod to add cammed operation, I will help tweak the pictures and post the thread.

Perhaps Ginseng or other modrs with experience can explain how you would ream out the MagChr metal reflector to allow larger diameter bulbs to fit, but I think even a WA01185 would be far too high a wattage, and would melt the this metal/plastic reflector mod. badly.

This tread is only for those who wish to keep the stock Mag cammed focusing ability. Power users such as Ginseng have no use for mild wattage upgrades to the MagC/D, they want 'barn-burners', flame throwers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif, runtime, bulb life, and practicality be damned!

Many will chose much slower focusing by merely screwing the Mag head backwards and forwards on the body threads, without the cammed operation, utilizing a stock 'camless' Carely reflector; for the much higher wattage bulbs like the WA01885, in a 3D Mag. mod.

You'll want to try and avoid getting your fingers on the metal reflector side surface, as the thin mirror-like finish aluminum coating is easily damaged, avoid the necessity of cleaning it as much as possible. CAUTION: Be extra careful with sharp exacto style blades, they can cut deep into your fingers if you should happen to slip.

Many thanks to Bwaites /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif, for providing this tutorial reference as follows:
=================================

Step 1. Start here. Step 2. Remove the Reflector from the bezel ring.
Reflector-remov01sm.jpg
Reflector-remov03sm.jpg

Step 3. Slide a thin exacto blade between the edge of the reflector and the inner edge of the carrier.
Reflector-remov04sm.jpg

Step 4. Slide the blade completely around the reflector, it pops free pretty easily.
Reflector-remov05sm.jpg

Step 5. Remove the reflector completely from the carrier.
Reflector-remov06sm.jpg

Step 6. Quite a bit of the high temp silicone will be on the reflector.
Gently shave MOST of it off with the exacto blade. Leave a very thin coating to act as a cushion and buffer for step 7.
Reflector-remov07sm.jpg

Step 7. Gently place and center the metal reflector into the stock plastic reflector.
If you have thinned the silicone evenly, it should fit perfectly to the lip of the stock plastic reflector.
Reflector-remov08sm.jpg

Step 8. Check your edges closely and you are DONE!
Reflector-remov09sm.jpg
Reflector-remov10sm.jpg

If you've done it well, it will fit over the WA bulbs without a problem. It should center easily and fit flush or nearly flush with the top of the stock plastic reflector. The Silicone provides enough tension and traction to keep it in place, but releases easily if you want to remove it.

The pictures aren't great, the camera is a cheap 1.0 MP, but you get the idea. Clean and post to CPF at your discretion.

C/D reflectors are the same, so it shouldn't be difficult to do this mod on a C. The actual C/D bezels are slightly different so the C bezel blends better with the C battery tube, but the guts are identical.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks UDAMAN!!

Very nicely done!

This might be the only Mag mod that I can claim as my own.

Most of the stuff I do is simply building on ground where others such as js, and especially Ginseng (Wilkey) have already gone.

I have run this mod with the 1185, 1160, and 1274 and not melted the plastic reflector. In fact, the plastic reflector you see on this thread probably has 4-5 hours as the host of this particular mod and as you can see, doesn't look deformed. I have actually put it back in another light and it throws the same old mag pattern as all the rest.

I consider this mod a stopgap, but some really like the throw the mag gives them with the smooth reflector and so I offer it as a piece of the modders knowledge base to use as you see fit.

As always and as UDAMAN says, your mileage may vary.

Bill