CD Label Kit, which one?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I know some of you have already been down this road so save me some time and tell me which one to buy. I have been reading tonight but I don't have time to do any real research. I need to print about 50-60 labels next week then I will only use it occasionally, maybe 2-3 labels a month. I have a HP photo printer, 9310 I think and a HP d145 as my duty printers.

Thanks

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Bump

Don't tell me I stumped the Cafe wizards. You guys have all the answers. Jeeves is second fiddle to yall. I will check back tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I can't recommend a label kit because I haven't tried one. I just write on the CD with a CD marking pen. It is not fancy, but it is quick.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also can't advise you which kit to get, as I also just use a Sharpie pen. (Sorry!)

Be careful not to put a CD with a label into a multi-feed CD unit, especially not one in your car. Those labels are infamous for coming off and costing amazing amounts of $$$ to have the dashboard disassembled, CD unit removed, disassembled, CD removed, then put everything back together.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using Nero for my burning software, and it comes with a CD label maker built in. Used it quite a bit. But most of the time I use a sharpie like everyone else.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most CD burning software has some way to create labels now. If you're asking about the actual labels and how to stick them on to the CD. I occasionally use a cheap Fellowes label kit I picked up from Office Depot for ?$5.00?. It just keeps the cd centered while you press the label onto it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif They are all very basic. Like everybody else I usually use a Sharpie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used several different brands of labels five or six years ago, and over a few years about half of them started to come off, and they were applied with the utmost of care. Since then I've only used markers designed for CDR use, but maybe someday I'll get an inkjet that can print directly on (printable) CDR's.

-Keith

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I see everyone is using a Sharpie marker. Now I have heard that CDs can be damaged by solvent-based markers and that it is important to use a CD-safe marker (water or alcohol based?) for maximum storage life.

I bought some special CD marking pens, but does anyone know if the common Sharpie permanent marker is safe for CDs?

danielo_d

Enlightened
I'm with most everyone so far. For my personal uses like backups, I use a 'Sharpie' and write directly on the CD.

But I do agree, like for training or presentation purposes, a label is alot better - for professional image and beats writing the same thing 50-60 times repeatedly.
I've used the CD Label Creator that was bundled with my Roxio EZCDCreator package.

For the media, I've used the "after Burner matte refill" CD Labels made by Avery. To center each one, get an applicator like a stomper. For alot of labels in a short time, it really helps.

I rigged an old empty spindle. [that hold the bulk 100 CDRs I get as Costco] I put the label down upside-down first. The carefully place the target CD -face down - on top of it. Kinda hokie, but works!

Again, for alot of CDs to get labeled, get a real applicator.

Hope this helps.

Danno

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Thanks folks. The actual direct CD printer is a little pricey for my little project so I think I will stick with the sharpie. Maybe I'll get fancy and buy a red or green one. On second thought, nah, blacks my color.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to buy those marker pens that claim to be for marking CDs. It eventually dawned on me that they were just crummy pens that didn't work worth a darn and nobody would buy them if they weren't labelled as special.

Now I use a sharpie.

By the way those "metallic" sharpies are great for labelling wall warts and other things made of black plastic.

jook

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the Sharpie camp. I've tried the label makers that come with various cd copying packages and they're all a bit too time consuming for my tastes. As far as safety, I was told by a musician who makes cds that it didn't matter what was used. But for the authoritative answer, I guess you could wander over to a forum such as www.avsforum.com and ask.

And while we're on the subject, can I just say the movie industry stinks BIGTIME for getting a law passed making DVD copying software illegal? Thankst gawd my old version of CloneDVD still works. But really, what was Congress thinking when they went along with their buddies in the industry?!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried the Fellowes Neato label kit, the CD Stomper label kit and a cheapie from Staples. I find the Neato to be the best, mainly it has a better applicator which can make all the difference. I do prefer a much easier to use older version of the mediaface software that comes with the kit.