Space Needle II Build - Photos and Instructions

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Since I don't make Space Needles any more, and with the recent advent of a new, self-centering heatsink made expressly for new-version Maglite C bodies (exterior serial number must begin with a "C"), I figured I'd show everybody how to make their own in case they absolutely had to have one.

First of all you will need to get an "o-sink C" from Yaesumofo. I know there are other heatsinks in existence, but the fact that Yaesu's version features a machined cutout in the center of its focal spacing post makes it one I would recommend over any other. It is maddening to finally get a light all sewn up only to find the emitter is off-center.

Here's a picture of both his D and C heatsinks, with the C on the right (obviously):

D%20vs%20C.jpg

You can see that the machined central depression is of the exact shape as a Luxeon's bottom metal slug.

Let's proceed:

Start by unscrewing the head and then removing the rubber switch cap (make sure button is depressed into the "On" position), then stick a 5/64th" allen key into the hole to loosen the setscrew that holds the switch body against the battery tube:

SN1.jpg

Unscrew it two or three turns and the switch drops right out the bottom:

SN2.jpg

Use the same key to unscrew the focusing wheel and remove all the metal internals and discard (hint - push down slightly on the bulb to relieve pressure on the wheel while unscrewing):

SN3.jpg

There will remain a long flat metal contact strip (with a threaded section at one end) for ground on the side of the switch body; it simply drops out the side. You'll need this later for the ground wire that goes to the Luxeon's negative lead.

Strip about 3/16th" off the end of some VERY thin solid-core wire (teflon-jacketed 30-gauge is what I use) and bend it at about 90 degrees:

SN4.jpg

and then stick it down the now-empty tube of the switch body so that the 90 degree stripped end makes flat contact with the metal plate at the bottom. From above, carefully hold the stripped wire tip down against the plate with the flat portion of a chisel-tipped soldering iron and with your other hand, feed some solder line through the side slot onto this joint:

SN5.jpg

This is the purpose of using teflon jacketed wire; if it contacts the shaft of the soldering iron during this operation the insulation won't melt. As soon as adequate solder flows onto both the plate and wire:

1) pull the solder line out and drop it

2) use that hand to now grasp the wire from above and press down gently while removing the iron. Hold for a second or two while it cools and forms a solid joint.

Solder another wire onto the flat end of the long metal strip you saved (no cutting needed):

SN6.jpg

Notice I use a hemostat to clamp a toothpick, together the weight of which holds the wire down against the strip while soldering.

Feed the wire and metal strip back up into the small slot of the switch body. The switch soldering is now complete and should look like this:

SN7.jpg

With a black Mag body the fit between the o-sink and the top of the tube lip is tight. I have heard that different Mag colors are of differing thicknesses and YMMV here. After the next following step you could simply tap it into the tube firmly, but it would never easily come back out if you needed to get in there later so I opted to wirebrush the anodizing from around the inside of the lip opening for a "snug" fit since I would be using some Arctic Alumina (non-adhesive) to fill in any gaps, thus ensuring a good thermal pathway:

SN8.jpg

I took off the first 3/8ths" or so which is about the depth of the o-sink:

SN9.jpg

Drop the switch body back down into the tube from the bottom, line up the switch with the hole and tighten firmly:

SN10.jpg

Apply thermal compound around the inside of the tube (where the anodizing was wirebrushed away), feed the two wires through the holes in the o-sink and press in:

SN11.jpg

You will note that the 5W Luxeon (a U3V Bin Code used here for nice white output coupled with a Vf Bin towards the higher end for best longevity) has already been Arctic epoxied into the self-centering depression (I use Arctic Alumina as it sets up much more quickly than Arctic Silver but either one is good) and the wires stripped; however, before installing the Luxeon I first stripped the wires just above the hole openings and the amount of insulation left was initially measured relative to where they would make contact with the Luxeon's leads. It is more difficult to strip the wires this closely to the holes if the Luxeon is already glued in place. This is just one of several little idiosyncracies throughout this mod that are better left to "doing" than taking paragraphs to explain, but once you're in the middle of it you will immediately understand them very clearly.

Take a heavy cutter and clip the tail spring as indicated:

SN12.jpg

leaving about 2-1/2 coils at the bottom (widest part of spring).

Use a couple of pliers to bend the end of the cut spring inwards towards the middle so that it will make good contact with the negative end of the CR123 battery:

SN13.jpg

After the Arctic epoxy is set, bend the wires under the Luxeon leads (I clip these leads just below the first bend coming out from the Luxeon's black case as they form nice little 90 degree elbows under which you can then easily "hook" the stripped portions of the wires) and solder:

SN14.jpg

SN15.jpg

Now cut the cam end off the reflector (I use a bandsaw):

SN16.jpg

It should look something like this when done, although if you leave just a small amount of the tube (I leave maybe 1/32" to 1/16" or so) it will prevent you from cutting too closely into the bell, which could widen the hole and lose you precious reflective real estate. But it does not have to be exact, we're not splitting atoms here, just make sure you don't cut it TOO close:

SN17.jpg

The point here is that the post of the o-sink will fit up into the opening of the reflector anyway so leaving a bit of the "collar" does not hurt. It's not like people (except maybe anally-challenged Flashoholics) are going to look inside there anyhow!

Rinse reflector with water and PAT dry with a clean paper towel (I do it this way on every Space Needle) but do not RUB in any direction! Then clean up any leftover flanging with a sharp X-acto or similar:

SN18.jpg

Clean up any remaining debris with a soft brush (note the white specks), I use a SIMA Lens Pen from www.flashlightlens.com (this is NOT an endorsement, it's the only place I can find them reasonably. Try pricing one at a carmera shop some time):

SN19.jpg

Replace reflector in head and screw head down onto body until the base of the Luxeon is about even with the reflector hole, this is close to the optimum spot focus point:

SN20.jpg

(Hey, you can see the brand of my camera in there...)

Next you can go buy one a those expensive custom-made battery holders that adapt three CR123s to a C-sized Maglite tube, or you can go with my original idea for a rattle-free battery carrier and use a length of 5/8" ID rubber automotive heater hose split down one side. Push three batteries into it:

SN21.jpg

TA-DA!

SN22.jpg

Light it up and adjust for desired focus, then go dazzle the neighbors...

BTW this light was freshy made just tonight only to facilitate these instructions and is a redundant extra to my photonic arsenal. As such it is For Sale - $90 plus shipping... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Space Needle II - How To Build Your Own

very good post charlie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey Ragzz, don't you have most a these parts already anyways? Go make one!

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened

Hi Charlie. Nice writeup! While most of it was greek to me, I would like a chance to own this light if its performance is similar to this SN II's 216 lumen output as described at this webpage...

http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/spaceneedle2.htm

Is there any way this can be modified to run with eight 2300MAh NiMH AA batteries (for a nominal voltage of 9.6V)instead of the 3 123A's since it's a DD? I'm still interested in purchasing it... I'm just wondering if it can be done then I'd be willing to pay more if you're willing to set it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

So that's why there's a market for haemostats and that's why CountyComm would advertise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charlie, what's your opinion of the U3V in terms of brightness? I don't mean to knock a great mod and your willingness to share the secrets with the community, but isn't a U only one bin away from the not-so-rare Lux3 T? I have a number of Lux3s already, and I was thinking of stepping up to a V bin available from the Sandwich Shoppe, I'm hoping that I won't be disappointed, I'd want a substantially brighter light.

mudmojo, I'm designing my light around 6 NiMH AAs and a resistor, because NiMHs typically have a 1.25V voltage rather than 1.2. A little bit could be sending something like 10V through the Lux5. Of course, I'm playing it very safe and shooting for close-to-stock current.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

awesome!

the only thing holding me back is the expense of a 5w luxeon...gonna have to save even more pennies.

that is one amazing mod.

Bob

LLLean

Enlightened

Charlie,

Awfully nice of you not just to share your trade, but to take the time and efforts to pen them down in such meticulous detail so that others may benefit from your expertise. Just the pix themselves are already a big effort to shoot. Most gracious of you, Captain Charlie!

- LLL

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Nice write-up Charlie!

It should be noted here for future reference: Performing a mag 3C/3D direct drive Lux III mod is esentially identical in process to this. The only real differences are that you do not need to clip the spring in the tailcap or use any kind of battery holder as you're using the same batteries the light was originally set-up for anyway.

The switch housing inside of a 3D is slightly different, but the hook-up is still the same. Lately, I have been using metal snips to cut the post off of the reflector. You don't get any plastic dust (and it's just as easy as a saw), so as long as you don't accidentally touch the reflective surface you don't ever have to touch it at all, even to clean it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One final tip: Check and double-check polarity before soldering the final connection to the LS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

very nice writeup, so you don't split apart the switch to add extra room by removing the bulb post??

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened

although i have not done any modding as of yet, i appreciate very much the sharing of your expertise.
very detailed instruction on how to go about it and the photos are a great aid.
BTW, GOODLUCK on your LI-ON HEART project.
nice looking little light.
regards everyone.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Hey Ragzz, don't you have most a these parts already anyways? Go make one!

[/ QUOTE ]lol i atempted a few months ago charlie. i didnt have heatsink. so i well made one lol it didnt go well. i was realy going for a 3 watt mod. i never knew how cool the sn2 was to i bought a 2 c mag.there nice lights

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great writeup on a very good mod.

Thanks.

Curtis

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

You missed making these guys, didn't you Charlie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

Space Needle II Rocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I don't care if it is old fashioned low-tech DD, it's still the best throwing LED light that I own [and I do own a few].

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

FlashlightOCD, I'm with you, my SNII throws better than any of my LuxIII's, but everyone talks about how the LuxIII's throw farther.

I think the theory of a single die thrower is great, but the reality is that the reflectors play at least as big a part, and the more light they have gather, the more they can throw.

P.S. So Charlie, this means I can't ask you for another SNII?

Bill

frogmonk

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for posting this, Charlie! Along with all the other things you have going on, I just don't know where you find the time to do this.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened

Hi Charlie. I've had a change of mind and will be dropping out of contention for this light... still in for the Lionheart though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
mudmojo said:
Hi Charlie. Nice writeup! While most of it was greek to me, I would like a chance to own this light if its performance is similar to this SN II's 216 lumen output as described at this webpage...

http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/spaceneedle2.htm

Is there any way this can be modified to run with eight 2300MAh NiMH AA batteries (for a nominal voltage of 9.6V)instead of the 3 123A's since it's a DD? I'm still interested in purchasing it... I'm just wondering if it can be done then I'd be willing to pay more if you're willing to set it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mudmojo, performance of all SN2's should be similar, but no two would ever match up exactly (Luxeon Lottery and all that). But the light is offered as is, no other modifications can be made (it's not like I have that much time unfortunately), and by speaking up first (although apparently conditionally) it's yours if you want it. Please let me (us?) know soon...

Frame57, you're next if Mudmojo does not take it, let's give it a day or two.

LEDmoMan's right, it isn't a far cry to the LuxIII Mag mod. But Justintox, on that one I simply slide out the switcher itself and solder directly onto its positive lead (no splitting of the switch body is Ever necessary).

konfuchicken, yeh mebbe jsut a little bit, but then last night's build has cured me up for a while.

And a big Thanks to everybody else. The plain and simple reality is with the existence of these dedicated pre-made parts nowadays, Mag mods are rather easily available to just about anybody who is willing to pick up a soldering iron, even for the first time. You really only need three things - Mag, Luxeon of your choice, and heatsink - all the other necessary parts (and many you can discard) already come inside each Mag...

Although the Lux3 Mag mods Technically throw farther, if you really want to, "SEE whut you a-thowin' at", it's usually better to have as wide a beam as usefully possible at distance...