Flashing LED in CountyComm 20/20

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is probably ho-hum stuff to most of you, but it turned out to be a successful little project.

I've been trying to come up with some kind of locater light to put on the collar of my black terrier who loves to roam and hunt and is impossible to see at night.

I tried GloTubes -- not bright enough. Small lightstiks didn't last and not too bright. Flashing PhotonIII worked great, but I really hoped for something less expensive.

After exchanging PM's with a couple of the CPF gurus, I bought a blinking red led, 5v,400mcd, at Radio Shack for like $1.50, installed it in a CountyComm 20/20, after trimming the case so that almost all the led was exposed, and installed a new 2032 batt. It worked! I turned it on and left it in my desk drawer. After 11 days and 9 hours, it's still flashing and, even tho dimmer, is still adequate for my purpose. Never expected this run time.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's a great little mod, especially for pet owners. Might be good for small children while camping too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mike

paulr

Flashaholic
That's great that the red blinking led is bright enough to spot the dog from a reasonable distance. I wouldn't have expected that. The locator leds I've seen in the past have been pretty dim. Anyway, nice going!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you post some pictures of it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif