SF-Z3 questions

sid2k

Newly Enlightened
I have a few questions about my just-buyed Surefire Z3 combat light.

First of all, I have not understood how the lock-out tailcap works: if i follow the procedure of the manual, the light is harder to turn on (with the momentary button), but still possible.
I have seen a tick on the body of the flashlight, but none on the tailcap.. (see the second pic)

second question: after a day, my flashlight stopped working. I don't know if it is because of low-batteries or because of other: is it normal such a brief dischargement? (batteries voltages are: 2.7, 2.7, 2.8).

third question: which rechargeable batteries do you suggest me to use?

Two Pila's, won't get only 5,4 Volts? Isn't that too low?

Thanks!

pics:
http://album.foto.virgilio.it/siddhartha/814856

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
Dear Sir,
Your batteries are dead as far as our lights are concerned. Once the batteries dip below 2.9 volts they are usually done. This is with the obvious exception of our LED lights.

Stuart

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does not look like a zlock out cap to me.
two PILA batteries should be at about 7.4v total when fully charged. My Z3 works fine on PILA cells and locks out . If your tail cap does not have a notch then it is not a lock out tail cap.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

That is NOT a LockOut TailCap. The fact that it comes apart shows that.

You need to get a Z41 LockOut TailCap.
Or a Z59 Clickie TailCap (also has LockOut function).

Al

fivebyfive

Enlightened
A lock-out tail cap will have a notch on the cap itself. Once the cap is on the body and you line up the notches the first time it will be in the lock-out position. Rotate the tailcap clock wise one full turn until the notches line up again and you'll be able to use the momentary button. Rotate the tailcap all the clock wise and it will turn on and stay on until you turn it counter clock wise. Hope this helps.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised. Maybe I haven't been with SF since they began but isn't the only non LOTC from the G2 Nitrolon? I did not know that there are aluminium version of that. Anyone care to clarify?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way Stuart from Surefire, my friend's Z3 measured 2.7 volt before his batteries actually dies.

My M2 measured 2.85 to 2.9 before dying.

I have not actually measured my M3's batteries yet because I always take them out just when they are turning orangey and insert them into my E1e with the KL1.

Most fresh batteries range in the 3.3 volt range.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are several different non LockOut TailCaps...
Z14, Z23 & Z31 I believe.

From the current range, the G2 and 8AX/8NX are the ones that can not be locked out.

Al