CPF changes over time for the worse for me.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I've been a member from the early days and although I don't post often I always browse. In 2001 CPF was, IMO, a funner place to hang around and the CPF community was tighter. I could browse all the forums in a short time and be caught up.

Over time the forums expanded and I looked at the Latest Threads and that was enough. Now if I do that I see tons of BST, Mod or Cafe topics and to be honest, I really don't share the same enthusiasm as others do. I just scroll to the Arc posts and look at the Dealer section or see what Quickbeam or Craig has reviewed. I'm not real happy with the larger CPF but I understand that as the forum grows larger these things will happen. Still, I liked it more then than now.

Perhaps Size15s can speak a little more but I really enjoyed lightlover and wish he'd return but I believe he hasn't posted for quite a long time for some of the same reasons.

I'm not leaving CPF and I'll continue to support it financially but it isn't the same CPF. I'm not growing tired of flashlights (just bought a SL Jr. Lux that I didn't need) but CPF no longer is the site I check first when logging on to the internet. I'm still the same but CPF isn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lament off...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well yes, that is true. And I am always the first to join a melancholic tune ...

But on the brighter side there is a much higher level of knowledge around these days and ordinary folks like me can buy CPF custom lights ... quite cool IMHO.

It is just a bit colder now with the winds of business and competition blowing stronger ...
But better feel cold than getting caught in the stampede of progress which is unfortunately inevitable even for something like CPF.

bernhard

Saaby

Flashaholic
Such is life. We may not be as close but it's still one of the best web forums out there.

Can you honestly say you'd throw half our members out if it meant a smaller community? Yes, it sucks, but I think in the end we really have come out ahead.

Just like cars are more reliable these days but you have to take them to the dealer for everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
A lot of the "competition" is really unnecessary and counterproductive to a free flow of information and ideas. On the other hand, some of us now find we have a serious "stake" in our hobby/ cottage business and we have to be careful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif With everyone evaluating and comparing various illumination tools, competition is implied and re inforced to a certain extent. When the bar is raised, there will always be those caught short. One of just a slew of reasons I ultimately did not compete in any of the mod contests was due to the fact that there is enough "competition" already. It's nice to see the examples of cooporation instead, IMHO. Screw the Alpha syndrome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I miss some of the fun and banter that some of those who have left us provided in the past. *something rediculass* A.K.A. Lightlover and Graham certinly come to mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Regardless of the actual content in CPF, the mere fact that there is so much now precludes the comfort of feeling connected that we once had when it was smaller. We can still have some fun and exchange ideas though if we so choose! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember what it was like before CPF though?

Somebody's website, I really really wish I could remember who, had text that read something like "People don't get it when they see my hobby. I just say 'hey, I like flashlights -- Got a problem with that?'" Kinda had to be a bit on the defensive back then.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is kind of neat to have so many people, becuase so many different things are being made and designed right now. There is lots of competition and choices to make being a flashaholic.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eventually CPF will reach critical mass with the result that that portion of the human population with the "flashaholic gene" will begin recognizing and exploring a previously vague and often put aside and unnoticed part of their psyche. Sorta like when cave men first started discovering fire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

I'd say at least a third of the population has latent flashaholicism. Whadda you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the UBB software's limitations make it unwieldy for a forum as busy as CPF. Maybe it could go over to a moderated, threaded format like Slashdot uses, and change its name to Flashdot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss the good old days but I like the current days as well. It is different out here. It is harder to be a tight knit group that is all trusting now days but we are still a good bunch. As big as this has gotten, we have to expect some change. I think the future is still bright.

Hey, I'm a relative newbie at 700+ posts, but even I, as a newbie, have had fun and even provided a little fun with my "Free Screw" and "Free Head" posts, not to mention a few others. So be happy that some of us newbies have filled in some of the void left by those good ones who've left.

Size15's

Flashaholic
LightLover has not posted on CPF for ages. He was away for a long time but I speak to him still. We need to meet up for a meal. I have a bag full of SureFires that he's not seen...

CPF has changed. But the quality level of modified and custom-made lights has increased significantly. I have seen people here take our hobby into their own hands and build it.
The "manufacturers" hold less power over us in many cases.

The coming of the LED has really changed CPF. I remember when I got a SureFire bezel with 19 LEDs in it. It was so secret that I had to return it so it could be sent to somebody else. We've had the Luxeons and will be moving on from those too.

I've made closer friends that I've met on several amazing holidays. The power of flashlights to unite us - a global community - skilled and passionate in a world that is beginning to accept the need for quality flashlights.

My Flashaholism continues. CPF continues. We continue.

Al

Mark2

Enlightened
I wish I had been around in 2001. Who started CPF? Is he still with us?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe it was Darell who started CPF...
How else do you explain his post count?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
That's right. We should always blame Darrell for something.. Or maybe challenge his gender identity... Or Somethin'..
arewethereyetdad claims to be a newbie @ 700+ posts. That makes people like me spankin' new.
I'm only a whole 47 yrs old but I DO know this: no mattter what the discipline or subject, it was ALWAYS better in "the good ol' days". I can cite examples till you're sick of hearing it.
My message is: yes, things are different now than they were then, but is EITHER one really better or worse???? Food for thought.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hey Don Graham's still around, I met him the other night at our Brisy mini cpf meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He just got back from Japan...

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
lightemup said:
Hey Don Graham's still around, I met him the other night at our Brisy mini cpf meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He just got back from Japan...

[/ QUOTE ]
lightemup,
I PMed him once after he made a very brief comeback to CPF to help out his friend. He kindly responded but seemd quite busy with the moving and all, and I too got caught up in misc stuff to follow up.
Anyway, good to hear he is safely back home. Please tell him the flashaholic community over here miss him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Cheers mate!

Flashlightboy,
I don't know if this would help a bit for you, but all newbies appreciate the input given by 'old' members like you.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta admit the small town personality isn't as prevelent but their is a wealth of knowledge and many services available. Any light I see or read about somewhere else, I can do a search on cpf and it has been discussed here.