FNG needs advice please

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Hey everyone, I am a recent lurker, but long time light fan. I remeber when the only lights available were red bezel,constantly dim pos's...and now thanks to you and your posts I have my first real light on the way...a SF E2 with beam shaper! I can tell you it was a tough choice between all the "2" series lights...I am jonesing for the M2....here are the burning questions...1) I need a light to reach 300' with a decent run time for investigating noises on the property and using on trips looking for docking sites...preferably water proof. I am considering lantern type lights such as 8D uke, LSI and maybe M3...although it is a bit costly. I see Brock liked the UKE6C...Considering the quality of the E2 beam, I want something with a good quality beam, no wholes etc 2) what do you like for a bedside "in-case- of -fire/intruder/emergency" light? I would go SF, but am open to suggestion...What do you think of the C3...it can be turbo'd, seems quality and is less than the M3...it also has a clip....listen, thanks for your wisdom and help...more questions and a couple light stories on the way...BTW, I am member #666, so don't mess w/ me!PS can I justify the M2 or is it too close in function to the E2?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard #666 (gulp !).

I love my E2, and wouldn't be without it. I've just one point to make, and that is - you can't get SF quality without buying a SF.
The waterproofness of SF's is understated, and you have a real good excuse for getting a M3.

I guess for what you want, a re-chargeable might be best.
Over to the other guys ......

lightlover
smile.gif
frown.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'd say he has a very good case of either an M3T or M4.

To get the SureFire quality, you need a SureFire, and for longer ranges, a TurboHead version is my suggestion.

Other brands may produce the light. The UltraStinger is a good attempt by some accounts.
The Surge sounds like a light I may buy, and soon I will be looking at larger Spot/Search lights such as the RC3800 Night Tracker myself.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Actually, he`s #668- take a closer look.... that really small text can be hard to read sometimes.

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, the member counter on "welcome to our newest member" always shows two numbers behind the actual new member number. Maybe that's where the confusion arose.

(Anyway, it is also yet another sign that I do now need reading glasses ...... )

lightlover
frown.gif
shocked.gif
mad.gif
smile.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
What do you like in place of a non -turbo M3...unless you were referring to a non-turbo M3?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
the member counter on "welcome to our newest member" always shows two numbers behind the actual new member number. Maybe that's where the confusion arose

But- look in his profile, and the "member #" line under his screen name. It says 668.

Now, mine says 171- do you mean I`m actually 169? That doesn`t make sense! I`m certainly confused now!

confused.gif
confused.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisMon,
wink.gif

Yeah, I read the number 668 under Geoff in Philly's name, (once you'd pointed it out, mind you).

What I mean is, if you go to the "Forum Home" page, then there is a section that reads currently:

Registered Members: 670
Welcome to our newest member: sylvestor

but, if you then click to read the profile for sylvestor, the member no he has on the profile is given as 672.

(Incidentally, Hi, sylvestor, a "tech." from Toronto
smile.gif
)

So, the member counter gives always 2 numbers below the profile number.
Why, I have no idea.

And as far as numbers go, Chris, you'll always be Welsh Museum Curator no 1 in my mind.

Now, anyone know a good Brit optician ??

lightlover
blush.gif
cool.gif
frown.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Howdy,

For a home defense type of light, you'd really be hard pressed to find a better light than a SureFire. I presume that you'd be using this light in conjunction with a firearm of some type. If this is the case, you need a light that is bright, easy to use with one hand and one that intereferes with the use of your firearm as little as possible. Remember, this is what the SureFire was originally designed for. In addition, the lithium batteries allow for up to 10 years of storage. Let's face it, the light will sit more often than it is used. Keeping a rechargable light on the charger is not an ideal situation, so lithiums make sense to me.

Ideally, if you can afford it, you really should consider using a SureFire that is mounted on your gun. My primary home defense firearm is a Remington 870 with a SureFire forend and the P61 lamp assembly. My choice is centered around being barricaded in my bedroom with 911 on the phone and the shotgun in my hands. If someone comes through the door, I can identify them and, if necessary, stop them.

If you were to use a handgun, it's even more important to consider a light on the gun as it would leave your weak-hand free for other uses, if needed.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,
Lon