5 watt single 123 quest...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have many lights in my collection with each serving some purpose for me.I remember the first light that started much of this for me was a light owned by my friend,and member,Owen.He showed me his Surefire L4 and I was amazed and converted quickly to the LED craze.I now have many good LED based lights with some 1 watt and even a few 3 watters.I have never purchased a 5 watter however I do wish to do so now.I really want something like the L4 running on one 123 cell.My question is would it be best to just purchase the Surefire 5 watt head assembly and get a single 123 body or maybe go for something else?I like my modded ARC-LS courtesy of LitFuse and thought of maybe trying that with a good 5 watt emitter and bump the current as much as I could with one cell.I really have not kept up with the lights that offer a single 123 with 5 watt LED and would like opinions of what to consider if some of you were to purchase a 5 watter with one 123 cell.I searched some posts and did not find many optics available,or recommended,for a 5 watt.I would also like to have a reflector based light in this configuration if it is better to do so than the NX-05 or similiar optic.Basically I am thinking that there may not be many lights available that can better the Surefire 5 watter with one cell however if there is something close I will look into it.The thought of having an ARC-LS with 5 watt and reflector sounds pretty good to me....any opinions would be appreciated here.
I think I remember reading a shootout between several 5 watters here about a year back.I can not find this for the life of me but I remember this was what made Owen purchase his Surefire.He had read the results of the shootout and decided to go for the Surefire.I would assume that there have been some more contenders come available since then but again I have not kept up with the 5 watters.

luxlover

Banned
Noel,

I have two SureFire lights that you may consider. One is a KL4 bezel and an E1e body combo, the infamous TW4 conceived of by Dan of Tactical Warehouse. The other is a stock L4 with Don McLeish's McE2S tailcap switch. I am not sure why you want a single battery system. Is it the size of a two battery system that you don't like? Is it the added maintenance cost of the extra battery? Or is it that you don't need a very high output for your everyday uses, and a one battery system would suffice?

Regarding the TW4, it can become a disaster if the KL4 bezel you buy has a high forward voltage, which would render the light somewhat weak in output because it is only getting the voltage of one battery when it was designed for two batteries. Add to this that the light would "most probably" run direct drive and dim slowly. On the other hand, if you could have someone hand pick a KL4 bezel with a low forward voltage, then you would have a light that is pretty bright, and would possibly run regulated for a period of time before going direct drive. My TW4 has a handpicked KL4 bezel, and I am very happy with it's performance. Note that the output is ~20 lumens. If you can handle that, this is a viable option.

Regarding the L4 + McE2S device, if you can handle the longer body of a two battery system, this combination of a well respected production light with a finely handcrafted dual level switch will keep you very happy. I ordered my switch from Don with a 60 ohm resistor pc board, because I wanted the low level to be similar to the low level of my SF L1. Don also offers a pc board with either a 15, 22, or 30 ohm resistor, for decreasing output levels. The pc board with the 60 ohm resistor, provides the least bright option. I am lucky that the KL4 bezel on my L4, is able to work with the switch so well. The switch functions like that of the L1, and it makes the L4 a very practical light. I figure that the low level is ~6 lumens, and the high is ~65 lumens (per SF specs.), or higher. How can anyone go wrong with this?

Before you decide, you must ask yourself if you can tolerate a light such as the L4, which is only five inches long. If you can, I most highly recommend this rather than the TW4. The TW4 is not a sure thing, depending on the efficiency of the KL4 bezel. The other option "is a sure thing." Either system will give you the reflector you want.

Look below for some helpful McE2S links....
Don's McE2S switch page
kj's review of Don's McE2s switch

Happy trails, Noel!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the L4 with Don's McE2S. Its simply my BEST and favorite light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I third the L4/Don combo. But, get a Pila 168 to run in it! With a Pila, you'll want a lower resistor value to achieve the same light level on low beam.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, Phaserburn is right. Definitely throw the Pilas in too. I basically took that as a given. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone answered the question of wheather or not the JS Burley 123 rechargeable 3.7V lithium with perform with the KL4 head. We already know that the Pila 3.7V 168 will almost provide full output (68 lumens)on the KL4 for about 40 minutes or so -- can we assume that the 123R (being half the size) will put out 20 minutes, or will the battery not handle that level of current drain -- almost 2C.

??

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc will be coming out with the Arc5 which will be a single 123 5W.
i think it should be out eary next year but i'm not to sure.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a li-ion, and it is, it should run the L4 identically to the Pila, just with less runtime, as you said. I intend to get one and try it in a KL4/E1 combo. Full L4 hi/lo performance in a 1 cell body.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I never really realized that some of the L4s may not run on one cell.I saw Owens do it and it was very bright however I guess he got lucky with his emitter.So is it right to say that the L4 was really not designed to run on one cell?
I think I may go for the ARC 5 however I am the type who hates to wait...hehe.If I did wish to get a low forward voltage L4 how would I go about getting it handpicked?Is this something that Surefire will do if requested?
Luxlover I did enjoy your suggestions and appreciate the advice.You asked why I preferred the one cell version...well it is basically just the cool factor for me as I like the smaller lights.I think I was spoiled a little by Owens one cell 5 watter and it was perfect for a small back up light for on duty.Now that I look at his same light with 2 cells it really is pretty small.If I can get a decent performer on one cell I would love to buy one however if 2 cells is the only way to go and be sure I will choose that.