Doom 3 Beam Shot!

Rorschach

Newly Enlightened
C'mon, this is supposed to be the 22nd century. Look at this terrible beam quality. And this light is huge! At least it has infinite battery life. An NO weapon lights?

d3beam.jpg

Seriously, do you know how hard it is to find a nice white wall on the Mars colony?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol. Beam actually looks kinda nice to me...EL's TSP would look much better though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey man, if you're good enough, you can mod any light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

unfortunately, my skills in modifying a virtual light are somewhat lacking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rorschach

Newly Enlightened
OK, here's some more. First: an illustration of the bad elements of said light.
d3close.jpg

Why is the bulb artifact so strangely shaped?

As for throw, here I am about to die from small spider-thingys in a long, dark, corridor. I think my E2e would throw much farther.

No light:
d31.jpg

Light on:

d32.jpg

The corridor is fairly long.

But seriously, D3 is an amazing game, and the flashlight effects (esp. closeup) are great. The physics modelling is clearly state of the art. I have never played a game in which the flashlight is such a key element. If you don't use it, you will die, no question. The only problem is you have to get used to switching very quickly back to your weapon, as the bad guys don't really like to be illuminated!

Roth, as for Modding, it's easy! I just adjust the gamma setting on my gfx card. (But I guess that is kinda cheating.)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wonder if you can hack the texture that the light throws out? Will we have different beams posted on CPF? McLux, E2e, L4, Arc4, X10, G@g, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rorschach

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Do you need the light thruout the whole game?

[/ QUOTE ]

So far. I'm about halfway through, and up to now I have been using it about 65% of the time. The power is out in much of the facility, and there are many access corrdiors and maintenance crawlspaces.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my copy of Doom 3 and it is *ADDICTIVE*. Almost as addictive as lights but I suspect less permanent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I noticed the bulb artifact immediately (now being a flashaholic) and I thought exactly the same thing, 2145 and they still can't get it right? Either that or Carmack hasn't seen a Surefire (though that would surprise me in the extreme, the God of Computer Gaming doesn't do SF?)

Then I came to the realization that it was probably done because of the meticulous attention to detail. Computer game flashlights have always been "perfect" point sources of light with perfect spill and no artifacts not because they are intended to be, but because of the previous limitations of technology. Rendering a point source of light would be the simplest and least-CPU-intensive method. Rendering a 'flawed' source of light would show off true programming prowess as the engine goes.

Still I sure as heck could use a SF Vertical Grip and MU System on the plasma rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i got a chance to try doom3 today, but i didn't get very far.
i wasted most of my time walking around and doing random stupid stuff. only had enough time to kill a few zombies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

the flashlight was terrible though, narrow beam, aweful pattern, and not very bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Doom 3 Beam MODS

Well, the bad news is they are issuing Maglites to the Marines...

area-std.jpg

The good news is that the Martian Buddies are Surefire dealers!

area-mb.jpg

And of course, what post wouldn't be complete w/o the obligitory white wall beamshots:

wht-wall-std.jpg

Check out that beam... Did someone say, "wall of light"?!

wht-wall-mb.jpg

It's just too bad they still haven't shipped that variable brightness control...

:) :) :)

-john