Converting an E1e to LuxIII?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Shoppe has ECan's and ESinks in stock. I have a LuxIII to use, so now I just need a converter board, ECan and ESink right? I have some questions.
- The ESinks are designed for side emmiters and it says that in order for a highdome to work, the emmiter needs to be raised up. Exactly how is that done?
- On an E1e, what board should I use with the LuxIII and what runtimes would I expect?
- What type of beam will a high dome produce in an Exe bezel?

That's all for now, Im sure ill have more questions as I get started.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Dont forget,you also need to get the E1e bezel bored out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a question on that... the reflector/bezel looks pretty thick from the inside. Even if you bore out the reflector, still leaving the surface flat, don't you have to raise the Luxeon into the reflector? I'm working on getting myself an Ecan/Esink right now so I haven't tried yet... any help guys? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Dabiscake,

It sounds like you have an older e-series bezel where the metal behind the reflector is solid. If you bore this out completely to the bezel wall and to ??? deep, the eSink/eCan combo will fit properly. The hole in the reflector must also be drilled out to at least 11/32" (13/32" is safer) to allow the LED to pass through properly.

You may be better off getting your hands on a newer e-series bezel, which uses a post to space the lamp (that is easy to drill away) instead of trying to bore out the solid reflector backing.

Like Eric said, the Shoppe's eSink is set up for a SE Luxeon, a HD Luxeon will require a little more height.

Maybe Wayne can create an 'eShim' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif to add to the eSink for use with the high-dome emitters.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the clarification, Wasabe!
last thing, how much height would the HD require?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how do you add the extra height? Is there a step by step tutorial out there somewhere?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add the extra height, I believe you need to fill in the counterbore on top of the esink so it is flush with the top surface. I don't know how much of an impact this will have on the thermal path, but there will be some effect.

dabiscake, as for the inside of the head, are you looking at an E1e-HA head? Only the hex bezels are appropriate for this mod (those from -HA and -HABK (such as E2D) models). The teardrop heads used in the SG and all E1 models are not capable of hosting the Ecan/esink.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I use AA to fill the counterbore first, let it set, then use more AA to mount the LS to that?

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
Oh... Thanks Tyler for the tip... but then, what's the big difference between my old E1 teardrop bezel and the newer hex ones? Are the hex ones bigger? The older bezel is too small to fit the OD of an ECan? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
The AA is still an adhesive, it adds thermal resistance as the layer thickens, so using AA to build up the counterbore is not recommended.

Here are a few pics...

Here's a quick drawing of the two different bezels, the areas in red are metal that must be removed to make room for an eSink/eCan module.
Bezel.gif

I was working on this a couple of months ago, this is the prototype eSink with a LuxIII HD, sorry about the poor quality images, my camera does not have a macro mode.
eSink02.jpg

eCaneSink02.jpg

The older teardrop bezels are harder to mod since you would need a lathe to bore the metal out. To add to the headaches, the lens may not be removable, so any metal chips that get into the reflector cavity can scratch the reflector or get stuck.

I'll eventually get back to work on this one after my exams, it will be interesting to see how the beam will look using such a shallow reflector.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the drawings, Wasabe... and I still have hope to mod by teardop bezel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Guys, there was a recent post in another thread about SE Luxeon III's being available now.

No need to play around with HD LuxeonIII's if you don't want to.

I was just @ Lumileds site, here is the part# LXHL-FW3C (white, SE).

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasabe, great diagrams, they're definitely better than the explanation I was going to try to type up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you really want to mod a teardrop bezel, it may be easier to just bore out the entire reflector and cut the threads deeper into the head to accomodate an IMS 20mm or 17mm reflector with the upcoming Escrew engine.

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the comments guys! Now... let me find that thread with SE Lux III... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
Also, if some of you guys who already modded an E1 with SE Luxeon could post a beamshot please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif... I'd be very interested to see how the beam looks like. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Thanks Tyler, I figured the drawing would be faster (and easier) to put together than a concise explanation. The S017XA reflector sounds like a better fit than the stock E-series reflector for a HD Luxeon emitter.

dabiscake, sorry that I can't help with the pics, I must be the CPF'er who owns the worst digital camera. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif