German Driver Beaten for Observing Speed Limit

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
German driver beaten for observing speed limit
Fri 30 July, 2004 16:22

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German truck driver has beaten up a motorist he believed was driving too slowly in a case of "road rage" in a country famous for having no limits on stretches of its motorways.

The trucker got in a fight with a car driver who had been slowing him down by observing a 30 km-an-hour (18 mph) speed limit in a built-up area.

Police in the western town of Bochum said the truck driver told them he felt provoked by the motorist "because he was actually driving 30 kph in a 30 kph area". The trucker faces an investigation and may lose his driving licence.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=5830614&section=news

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thats just sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it. Last year I got nailed for speeding, then for running a red light. I had to drive near the speed limit or risk 3 violations in one year. Needless to say, if I die without seeing another middle finger I'll die happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you ask me, with the exception of school zones and work zones, speed limit laws should be ABOLISHED. Just let the police cite drivers for obvious gross violations of speed, and that's all. Call it reckless driving, racing, whatever. The whole thing is a scam, and represents an obvious conflict of interest in that the towns that set the speed limits profit from the fines. It's also a ridiculous use of police man power.

Saaby

Flashaholic
At the same time, it's a bit ridiculous when you're going 75 (Speed limit 75) and people are still passing you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I can understand people that speed at 55 and 60, even 65, but do you really need to go faster than 75? I mean we're not talking about people with nice cars that want to drive fast, we're just talking about people in a hurry.

Driving home from Idaho to Utah about a month ago. Going 77 or so. Monte Carlo is weaving in and out and passes me like I'm standing still (No signals either). She's gone. About 30 seconds later pass a cop officer and he pulls out. Is he after me? Don't think so, cruise set at 77, I"m the slowest person on the road. Vroom! Goes cruising past me and about a minute later there's the Monte Carlo pulled over.

Wait wait, it gets better. We stopped over an hour later for lunch. Not long after getting on the road the *same* woman passes me again. Guess she didn't learn her lesson the first time.

--Side note, when you need to climb a hill in the Saab and you have cruise set, it doesn't touch the engine RPMs, just closes the wastegate a bit, thus increasing the boost. Pretty cool.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only should the truck driver's license be taken away, he should be put in jail for assault!! How the hell do people like this get to operate 2000Lb weapons?

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Last year when I lived in Knoxville Tennessee a 87yr old trucker was ramming a minister on I-40.It took 5 police cars to get the guy off the road!

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
Last year when I lived in Knoxville Tennessee a 87yr old trucker was ramming a minister on I-40.It took 5 police cars to get the guy off the road!

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'd say OK to abolishing speed limits if....

1) We find a way to test for adequate reflexes and sharp vision. I don't want to be on the same road with my mom driving 75.

2) Require that all cars are built to a minimum performance standard as far as handing and braking. 90% of the cars on the road will not fare well responding to an emergency maneuver at 65, much less 80 or 90. I don't think you make a truck that's able to handle emergencies at 80 MPH.

3) Require multiple annual inspections of diver and car to make sure it's still up to par.

4) Light all high speed roads at night so that you can see the accident/cow/pedestrian before you hit it. Headlamps are inadequate at 75 MPH.

You see, I know that I can drive safely at 75, and I also know that it's often better to drive slower. It's the rest of you that endanger me.

BTW; did you know that 85% of all drivers rate themselves as above average? With judgement skills like that it's no wonder the accident rate is so high.

Daniel

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
eebowler said:
Not only should the truck driver's license be taken away, he should be put in jail for assault!! How the hell do people like this get to operate 2000Lb weapons?

[/ QUOTE ]

2000Lbs? That's only a quarter of the engine!!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, in a lot of areas, speed limits are more about revenue than safety. I've rarely seen reckless speeders targeted in conditions where safety is a very real concern, such as during poor weather conditions or bad roads. Most of the time, it's areas of long straights under good conditions where they'll set up shop, because the majority of motorists are comfortable in going somewhat faster than 55.
Speed limits need to be in place to keep things in check, but realistic limits are rare. It's one thing to set things up to the lowest common denominator, but in the real world, driving at those specified limits all the time probably creates more of a hazard than going at a higher speed but with the flow. It's the speed differential that plays a factor in creating dangerous situations as well as just an arbitrary speed. It's more convenient to have a fixed limit, because it would hold up better in court, than attempting to prove a motorist was going some amount faster than average.

Not all roads have the same capacity to handle traffic at any given speed, but basing speed limits on that may prove too confusing to the average motorist, and eliminate a lucrative source of income, so there's not much incentive for that to change.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this a commercial driver, or someone with a truck?
That seems a bad idea in and of itself; there comes a time when they just need to retire people from driving, though the AARP would have something to say about that. Raise the lowest common denominator just a bit-

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JOshooter said:
[ QUOTE ]
eebowler said:

[/ QUOTE ]

2000Lbs? That's only a quarter of the engine!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif I was thinking CAR while typing. Sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Latest posts