Bush's State of the Union Address (Parody)

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bush\'s State of the Union Address

Yeah.

I'd like to add I'm in no way pro or anti any politics here, I remain completely centrist and neutral... I just found that piece hilarious because of the rather good editting job.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Though I can understand and appreciate that this might be humorous, (it is, in a sick, twisted way) and that the editing is professional, I find it deeply disturbing that it would be done by anybody in todays deeply charged environment.

While I do not always agree with our President, and I am usually among the first to poke fun at the foibles of American politics, for some reason pointing at our national symbol, the Flag, and saying it stands for terror, rape, torture, etc. deeply offends me.

Our Flag stands for Freedom, Equality of opportunity, the protection of individual rights and many more things too numerous to mention.

The medias attack on our integrity is beginning to drive me a little bonkers!! If you say its not OUR integrity, you're wrong, because the President is OUR face to the world.

Today I spent nearly 2 hours sewing back together the forehead of a Taiwanese national visiting the United States. He had been injured by a partner during a cheerleading routine. The entire time I was working on him, he enthusiastically recounted how exciting America was to him and his countrymen, while his partner agreed and filled in the details he had forgotten. He has just completed a 3 year tour of duty in his Navy, the 3 years of service required of every healthy Taiwanese male.

He and his partner had spent those 3 years saving everything they could to make the trip here. When I asked if they would like to live here, their eyes got huge and their grins got bigger. They both unhesitantly and joyfully answered yes, it was what they dreamed about.

Unfortunately, the quota is filled on Jan 1 every year and there is little chance it will happen for them. However, their enthusiasm reminded me of why so many have risked so much to come here. More, it reminded me why so many have GIVEN so much to protect what we have.

As our Nation fights a war against its most difficult enemy, I am reminded of a saying I heard once and saw recently again, this is a paraphrase but the idea is here, "My people once thought that war was the opposite of peace, but we came to realize that too often the opposite of peace is not war, but slavery."

I am sick to death of the mean spirited criticism of my Country, my Flag, my President, and every American should feel the same way about Our Country, Our Flag, and Our President.

It is possible to disagree without the meanness of this type of satire. I hope that we can do so.

I'm tired, this probably makes little sense, and I should probably have left it alone, but I could not leave it unsaid.

Bill

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't find that funny. I find it distrubing.

Bwaites, thanks and well said.

Turt

Enlightened

Its sad that our culture is driven by entertainment and humor instead of character, honor, and respect... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif This isn't a shot towards anyone specifically... just an observation that I have made of culture today.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

parody is protected speech /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For those that might think that is an accurate retelling you might want to head over to whitehouse.gov where the real text of that, and most of the rest of his speeches are archived and you can read them for yourselves. (people making political comments should really look at the source material before speaking as most of the things I've heard people say about this speech in conversation have been almost unilaterally wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

For those wanting to discus parody in general, or web animation technique, or how to host your own political parody this thread can stay open. for those wishing to start a bit of political discourse here, as a moderator I'm required to tell you to take it to the underground

Thank you for your support /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just reread my comments, and I stand by them, while adding that I did not write them with the purpose of offending Endeavor, I think (hope) he started the thread only as a demonstration of what people can do with modern technology.

Bill

Empath

Flashaholic

It requires installing a plug-in from a company I consider corrupt; I guess I won't be seeing it.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apple, Empath?

I'd like to once again make clear that I don't believe anything said in that video, I just found it amusing how they got a bunch of things President Bush said and wrapped it into that package. I got a chuckle out of it.

However, I do understand where some of you might find it in bad taste. Some of the comments are a bit out there in the video, and should be taken with a grain, or multiple grains of salt.

I didn't post this with any political agenda whatsoever, only as something for a few people to chuckle over. I hope that no one here actually believe what's said in that video.

If anyone was offended to great extremes, I'll gladly ask a moderator to remove the thread.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Apple, Empath?

[/ QUOTE ]

Empath has a long standing and well documented distaste for all things Apple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not sure if it's real or if it's just to bait Saaby and myself to come out and say ludicrously positive things about them... It's OK for use moderators to bait each other, but don't the rest of you start!

Personally I have all 3 major competitors for media players installed on my machine, Reel, Windows Media and Quicktime. I get to see everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also have the divx plugin for quicktime so i can view that and ogg vorbis codecs too.

No thread closing so far, lets see what happens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

One of the undercurrents of this parody is the notion that we can no longer trust whet we see or hear. Processing technology has gotten so good and is so cheap and available to the masses that it's difficult for an average viewer to pick out a forgery, and damned near impossible if the forgery was done by a professional with a lot of time, high-end resources and motivation. Even though I could sttill pick out the edits in this piece, some of them were very smooth, and all of them were somewhat masked by the compression artifacts of the final download.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Endeavour said:
Apple, Empath?

[/ QUOTE ]

RealNetworks, Endeavor. I've no idea what James is on about.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a quicktime file though, Empath, not Realnetworks.

I too, dislike Real.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

not to hijack the thread, but could someone tell me what is up with Real?

i loaded it recently...now i am concerned. it seems to adk my zonealarm for access to the internet a lot--but i dont let it.

on topic: yes, it is amazing what can be done with new technologies.

Bob

Empath

Flashaholic

When you access the site with Mozilla, it offers to install "FastView Plus by RealNetworks, Inc". It does say that FastView will open Quicktime files. Quicktime reasigns your associations when it's run. RealNetworks produces spyware. With those options, I guess I'll do without.

Empath

Flashaholic

I've got Quicktime, but I keep it locked up, tied and gagged in the deepest dungeons of my machine. Yeah, it'd probably like to get out and run a mov file or two, and fiddle around with my associations, but it's serving a life sentence.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Seems almost anyone other than myself can make up whatever news they want. Oh you guys new that right?
The tech is getting scary just a bit.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif