could someone suggest a drop in for mini mag?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to try a LED drop in "pill" or "module" for one of my Mini mag's. hoghead suggested the bad boy series, any others similar? and maybe a little cheaper? most important is one i don't have to do any major work or soldering, cause i ain't that good at that. I am pretty new to all this. VDG

B

Birmingham47

You can find a RAM instrument 3 led drop in on the net. Simple, no soldering. About $8-$10.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The Opalec NewBeam is another option. These are $20.95 plus shipping from PocketLights. This isn't as bright as a BadBoy or a MadMax sandwich, but it is a regulated light with about 10 hours of constant brightness and then a red LED light comes on letting you know that your batteries are depleted.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
It all comes down to your intended use. If you want the brightest drop-in, sacrificing run time, get a Bad Boy or Mad Max sandwich. If you want a light for camping, power outages, etc with a longer run time the Opalec and Terralux are excellent options.

The Opalec wins the longest lasting race with about 10 hours, but the Terralux is much brighter and you get a little over 6 hours of use from it. I haven't seen the Inretech option, but I imagine it is similar to the Opalec and Terralux, with maybe a little more brightness.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could try one of Kevin's SMD+ drop in ($25.00) units over at Lambda Lights

E-mail him for availability, his webpage may not be updated.

Then the $64,000.00 question is ...... of the ones people have suggested, which one to get? Good luck researching that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
All the Sammy's sold over in Waynes Sandwich Shop are very easy to install. He normally has a good selection, although I haven't checked recently.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
It is also wise to just dump the Mini M@g and get a SL Lux Jr. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tesla

Enlightened
I don't know if "wise" is accurate...depends on whether he can live with less than 1.5 hrs of bright light from the Streamlight Jr. His needs may not be the same as yours. <font color="red"> </font>

greenLED

Flashaholic
Depends on what you'll be using your light for:

Opalec: lower output but longest runtime

Sammies: different flavors, generally brighter than anything else, but at reduced runtimes my favorite

Terralux MiniStar: Luxeon side emitter, bright as a sammie, but the beam is not as nice as it uses a cut-down mini-Mag reflector.

I haven't used Inretech's drop in or Lambda's SMD. I also just bumped into Terralux's 4LED drop-in. (reviewed here). I'm guessing this is more like the Opalec than anything else.