Aren't you glad? Edible clingfilm developed

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Aren\'t you glad? Edible clingfilm developed

Ananova

"Scientists in the US have developed a clingfilm that can be eaten.

Experts at Oregon State University have come up with a wrapping that not only keeps food fresh but can also be safely eaten.

The film, which contains natural preservatives, can be fortified with vitamins and minerals, says the Daily Telegraph. Used in liquid form, it can also be sprayed on fresh foods such as fruit to keep them fresher...."

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Aren\'t you glad? Edible clingfilm developed

Hmm interesting. They should make an edible tissue, that way when you're done you just eat it.

AlphaTea

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
lasercrazy said:
Hmm interesting. They should make an edible tissue, that way when you're done you just eat it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Little kids have been using just their fingers since the beginning of time. No tissue needed and you still get to eat it!

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL! No I was talking about blow your nose tissue.

cosco

Newly Enlightened

It makes me think of how many artificial products we are actually eating allready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Seems to me that if the cling wrap so edible, you won't want to use that on any food that you bring along on a picnic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

What if you confuse it with non-edible cling-wrap?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

They should make it with a light color tint or some sort of an imprint so that they're not confused.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

There has been 2 edible spray on films that have been used for YEARS, so that isn't BIG news - if it's actually a film you can apply like regular cling film, that is new

BTW The 2 spray on coatings you've probably eaten quite a bit of? Wax and shellac!! Yes pure shellac is edible, and is used on chocolate quite a bit

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember reading many years ago in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science about the invention of an edible sandwich seperator. In other words, a thin membrane that would seperate your various ingredients to keep them from co-mingling. Cool idea but I guess nothing ever came of it.

Mark

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:

BTW The 2 spray on coatings you've probably eaten quite a bit of? Wax and shellac!! Yes pure shellac is edible, and is used on chocolate quite a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

CHOCOLATE is shellac'ed? Why? To create a smooth sheen? Who's using it and on what?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
CHOCOLATE is shellac'ed? Why? To create a smooth sheen? Who's using it and on what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chocolate that isn't coated tends to get a white powdery finish (called Bloom if I remember right) - I understand that many/most of the candy bar makers use it
edit:
Just did a web search - it seems industry calls it "confectioners glaze" - and they sometimes use wax too

http://www.temuss.com/html/food.html

It also seems they are trying to move away frome shellac - you see, you have to disolve the shellac in alcohol (drinking kind) - well, then it has to dry. That leads to emmisions of "VOCs" and with the new polution control laws, that's a problem

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Wow, thanks for the link. I just looked up shellac and found:

Shellac is produced from the secretions of a bug (Lac Beetle), deposited on branches of trees in India. Shellac can be diluted with denatured alcohol to make the shellac workable, or to dissolve and remove shellac.

So all shellac is derived from lac. Huh.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

pw- a 9:1 ratio of Barium chlorate and shellac is one of the oldest, simplest (and best) formulas for green "stars". The shellac functions as both the fuel and binder (wet with alcohol). I think it's the only color that can be made with just two chemicals. Unfortunately, it's also quite sensitive, poisonous and costly.

Sorry for the hijack, carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

avusblue

Enlightened

Speaking of this, I've noticed a film material like this that offers the ability to have printed pictures, Disney themes, or the like on decorated cakes.

3DisplayCakes.jpg

I've always felt a little weird eating the strange, thin filmy material on the top of the frosting -- not sure what it is, and its hard to describe. But the cake sure is purty! (and tasty!)

Dave

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
pw- a 9:1 ratio of Barium chlorate and shellac is one of the oldest, simplest (and best) formulas for green "stars". The shellac functions as both the fuel and binder (wet with alcohol). I think it's the only color that can be made with just two chemicals. Unfortunately, it's also quite sensitive, poisonous and costly.

Sorry for the hijack, carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Peter, now that you've mentioned it, I remember that formula from many years ago. Still trying to remember the name of that manual with the blue cover, an oldie but goodie. That's where I first learned of many of the formulas, including the one you've mentioned.
</pyro mode>

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

So that's how they do it. I've read that they use a modified inkjet printer mechanism, but I never understood how they got it onto the cake. This makes perfect sense, printing it onto a thin, edible laminate and then applying that to the cake.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, isn't the point of food wrapping to keep the, you know, dirt and hair and sneeze-projectiles and dead skin and, uh, scabs off my food? So do I need to wrap my edibly-wrapped food? And what about that stale grocery-store shelf flavor?

Latest posts