New KL-1 High Luxeon /Lumen/runtime??

juancho

Enlightened
I can see that my new KL-1 head is way more powerful, bright, and throw father than my friend's old KL-1.
I can not accept the factory old figure of 17 lumen!!
How many lumens and for how long it will run when used in a E2e body???

Juan C.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Juancho:

Where did you get your "new" KL-1 head? I tried to get one last week direct from Surefire, but they said they were way backordered and had no stock yet.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
juancho said:
I can see that my new KL-1 head is way more powerful, bright, and throw father than my friend's old KL-1.
I can not accept the factory old figure of 17 lumen!!
How many lumens and for how long it will run when used in a E2e body???

Juan C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.. I've been saying this for a while, heck the rating of 15 lumens, it's not 15 lumens and I know it. I found another E1e for a side-to-side comparison and the KL1 wins hands down with both a brighter spot AND a brighter spill. No integrating sphere needed. I got mine several months ago from jcciv as well. Was kinda worried about all the green and purple KL1 talk I'd heard here on CPF prior to buying the light, but it looks like I've got nothing to worry about. Still my favorite small light.

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
If you look on the SF web site KL1 page, I think that they changed the style of the KL1, and they have not shipped any for several months now. I have a bunch on backorder, but there is no telling when they will be available.

kl1ha_full01.jpg

All of the newer KL1s that I have seen have the HD emitter, and are really bright. I can't tell for sure from the picture if the new KL1 has a different optic, but I suspect that it does...maybe even the optic from the x200a, but I hope NOT.

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
I hope so, that would be great. The new L1s are a vast improvement over the older model.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will agree that the new L1's are more like 30 lumens on high not 15. It blows away my "good" Arc4. My only complaint is that the led is way off center but thats the norm so I cant complain.

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
yes a reflector would be great. the new head design looks anyway like the KL4 head. pk where are you ? ;-)

iddibhai

Enlightened
juancho, you have the new scalloped head KL1 or the ringed/hex head KL1 with HD? I thought the pictured version was not even on the market.

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
Juancho has the last model version with the scalloped bezel, not the one pictured above. I have not seen one of those anywhere. The last batch of the KL1s with the scalloped bezel had HD emitters.

luxlover

Banned
Rastaman,

Something is not right...
On this SureFire page, you will see their KL1 bezel using a 1 watt Luxeon....SureFire KL1 page
They claim a 15 lumen output.

On this page, you will see their L1 light using a 3 watt Luxeon....SureFire L1 page
They claim a 15 lumen output.

Does anybody know why the KL1 is still using a 1 watt Luxeon?

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
where do you see that the KL1 does use a 1 Watt LED ? no where is mentioned that it uses a 1 watt led.

you can use 1 watt led, a 3 watt led or a 5 watt led and get always 15 lumen. thats really no problem.

i think surefire did not or want not update the lumen rating.

luxlover

Banned
It says so here on the 11th line from the top...."The conversion head consists of a bezel/lamp assembly fitted with a digital regulator, a one-watt LumaMax™ LED........"

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
sorry, you are right luxlover.

but it is no more true. here is the mail from helpyou@surefire :

Dear Sir,

The KL1 uses the same 3 watt LED as the L1. This was a recent in-line change. By bumping up the wattage, but maintaining a low output, you get more efficiency on the batteries. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service and welcome future inquiries or comments.
SureFire Technical Support
1-800-828-8809
714-545-9444
714-545-9537 (Fax)

luxlover

Banned
Thank you Sir. I am relieved that they are doing the right thing. I find that as much as I would like to be right in what I believe, I am proven wrong once in awhile. This time is one of them. I am sure that you have noticed SureFire pages give us wrong data. This board of forums, CPF, remedies this when we share what we have found out, with each other. Long Live CPF!!!

luxlover

Banned
Will that be cash, check, or charge, V8TOYTRUCK?

SureFire is sure cranking these days........
> First the L1, which was great in it's previous form, got a 3 watt Luxeon facelift. I had a 3 watt Luxeon put in an L1 bezel before release. I knew three months ago what an amazing beast the L1 could become.
> The popular KL1 bezel was also ungraded with 3 watt Luxeon.
> The L2 was released about a month ago, making it SF's second dual level light.
> The L4, E1e, E2e, E2d, and E2O have new streamlined bodies.
> I can almost smell the U2 in the air, it is that close to release date.
> There are five LED Conversion heads on the SF site.
> The L7 has been posted on their website, which based on SF's past performance, means that it is available.

We will be having a lot of fun with SF in the next few months, I imagine!