Longbow Micra vs. Arc LSH-S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I've owned both models for a while (several months of owning Arcs, two months of owning Longbows), I'm going to post my opinions regarding preferences. I won't include the Arc-LSH premium models or the Arc-4s since they are in a completely different price range.

Fit/Finish: Advantage: Longbow

Both my 2 Longbows have top notch fit and finish. All parts fit extremely well together, and the 3 HA finish (Olive Drab) is applied evenly and extremely well. I'm talking Surefire quality fit/finish here.

2 of my 3 Arc LSH-Standards have very nice fit and finish. The fit is nearly as good as the Longbow, but the finish is NOT. The Arcs have slight color mismatch on the parts, and the finish is not as evenly applied.

My 3rd Arc LSH-Standard has the infamous "tiger stripes" in the finish, which while it doesn't affect function it sure affects looks and appearance.

Beam quality: even. Both the Micra and Arc-LSH appear to have good beam quality for a flashlight that uses optics. While neither have a "Surefire" quality beam, they both have good beams with only minor flaws.

Beam tint: Significant advantage to Arc.

While every Arc LSH-S I have has some slight tint to it, they are usually so slight that I can't notice it unless I compare it to a very white flashlight side-by-side (Pelican M6 LED). The tints on the Arc LSHs I have range from slightly pink, to slightly purple, to slightly green.

One of my Longbow Micras has a very white tint that is slightly tinted green. The other Micra I have is VERY green--bright cat urine green.

Size:brightness ratio: Its very close. The Micra appears to be slightly brighter, but the Arc is smaller. I'm going to call this one even.

Runtime: advantage Arc. On average, the Arc appears to keep regulation around 30 minutes longer.

Price: Advantage Longbow. On average, a first Arc runs for $99, a Longbow Micra $79-$89 depending on options)

Overall: Advantage Longbow. Better fit/finish (IMO), slightly brigher, yet lower price. In every other area (except tint and runtime), they are pretty much even but I think the Longbow gives better bang for the buck.

I like both models very much, and I will continue to buy both the Micra and the LSH. However, at this point I'm going to be buying the Micras in greater quantity than the LSHs.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure others have much different results. Please post your opinions if you own both models.

nightshade

Enlightened
I REALLY like the Micra and just purchased a third one. But,if I couldn't carry my Arc 4,my next favorite would be my Lsh-p with twisty. I am one of the dreaded Arc fanatics. Although both lights are top-notch EDC in my opinion.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
ill take the micra with clickie
only because i cant find anywhere in australia to purchase an arc - im looking at getting an eco now - and a max when they come out

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I too would take the Longbow Micra 2310S over the Arc LSH-S. My Micra has a much brighter hotspot than my Arc LSH-ST. Fit and finish are about the same, but the Longbow is less expensive and you can take it apart. You don't have to worry about the Longbow turning on accidentally, it can stand on it's tail end, you can attach a pocketclip to it, attach it to a small tripod, etc... The Longbow is just a more versatile light than the Arc LSH. In my opinion, the only real advantage the Arc LSH has over the Longbow Micra is size.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a lux 3 twoh in my lsh-s and I replaced the optic with a reflector and I got rid of the plastic lens and put a glass one from flashlightlens.com

it is a lot brighter now with a perfect hot spot and great side spill

and the lower vf led makes the light stay in regulation 34 minutes longer and moon mode is a lot brighter too

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the lux three work with the regulator? Can a regulator still work well if it goes from a 1 watt to a 3 watt bulb?

I'd like to eventually get reflectors in both the Longbows and Arcs I have, if its easy. I'd also like to upgrade to 3-watt as long as it doesn't have a negative affect on regulation.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems to work just fine-gteat-fantastic I could change a resistor and make it brighter but I like the runtime it is very bright
I have a 2aa pack for it and I ran 3 sets of batteries in a row thru it untill they were dead with the light on a table- no hand cooling it. I drop tested it too.
I think because of the low vf of the twoh the light does not even start to get warm until the batteries are about to
go dead.
I think it is direct drive for a while with a new battery because of the low vf.

why was I so stupid and only buy 2 twoh I could have bought 5 damm they are white even at 1 watt or so.

they have a low vf at 3 watts the vf is lower at 1 watt.

sorry is this what is known as hijacking a thread ?
If it is I will try not to do it again.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using a SO17XA reflector I wonder if a SO20XA
would work better with a little bit of help with a file
the 17 and 20 is a reference to milli meters
the arc ls uses a 19.1 mm lens so you would have to make the 20mm reflector a little smaller

I wonder if it would be worth it
works great with the 17 mm reflector