BOB light recommendations

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks, wondering if I can get some opinions on a good long-lasting light for the small emergency/BO bag I'm going to keep in my car. I already have a 2x123A tactical light for it (Streamlight TL or a Z2, haven't decided which yet), and would like recommendations on a more practical longer-term using light with the following characteristics:

Burn time: Assume I'll need it for (say) 3 days, burning worst-case 8-10 hours per day. So 24-30 hours burn time, preferably with no more than 2 sets of batteries, 3 sets max. I'm okay with a multi-level light, where only the lowest level gets the required burn time.

Batteries: Since I already have a "tactical" 123A light in my bag, I'd prefer this light also take 123As ... and better yet, if this light could take depleted batteries from the SF/SL and burn them the rest of the way down. This is a preference, not required.

Size: The smaller and lighter the better, of course. Max size would be: not appreciably bigger than the TL-2.

Format: Headlamp or hand-carried okay. LED or incandescent okay. We'll talk about these as they come up.

Beam: 5-10 lumens total is probably plenty, though I won't complain about more provided the light meets the runtime specs. Beam shouldn't be needle-tight; other than that, anything goes.

So basically a small light with good burn time (possibly through variable output), preferably but not necessarily running 123A batteries. This light could be used in extended blackouts for finding things during the day, and providing some comforting light at night until bedtime. The reason it doesn't have to be incredibly bright is because I always have the TL-2, but it should be bright enough to do things conveniently.

To narrow the scope just a bit more, I did a quid pro quo with a light dealer, and he's willing to sell me a couple of lights at his wholesale price. So, for reasons of cheapness, I'll be heavily leaning towards a light from one of the manufacturers he carries: CMG, Inova, Princeton Tec, Pelican, Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics.

I have some ideas in mind, but would like to hear others' opinions first, since I haven't thought that much about this kind of light.

Joe

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Twin-Task fits, with 2/123's, 28 hour run on 3 LEDs, 2.5 hours run on the Xenon. The Xenon is not as bright as the TL-2, but adequate for most purposes.

I carry one in each vehicle, and at bedside.

The 1-123 Twin-Task is smaller, and gives 9.5 hrs. on the 3 LEDs, and 2.6 hours on the Xenon.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The CMG Infinity (not Infinity Ultra) has a nice long runtime on 1 AA. The Ultra or Ultra-G are great too, but they are brighter and the runtime is shorter.

The Inova X5T is a good 123 light. The X5T with white LEDs is 2x123 and the X5T with red LEDs is 1x123.

The Ultra is much smaller than the X5T and I would choose it for that reason. If you needed to use 123s or if you wanted a brighter flood light you might prefer the X5T.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like your greatest requirement is runtime.

The X5T is a great light, however the runtime to 50% is about 4 hours according to Roy's runtime plots. 24-30 hours of runtime on 2 or 3 sets of batteries is about 8 - 15 hours of runtime per set. Not many lights fit that category. According to Roy's plots, here are some lights that fit under your runtime criteria. The following times are to 50%:

Anglelux 1w - 24h 18m
Anglelux 3w - 9h 32m
ARC AA - 10h 12m
ARC AAA - 7h 45m
CMG Ultra-G - 11h 15m
EternaLight - 11h 45m
Lightwave 4k - 48h
OpalecNewbeam - 9h 43m
SL Stylus - 10h

You might consider the Inova 24/7 even though it only has a 50% runtime of 5h 43m, it runs on 123 cells. Also consider the KL1 on 2x123 (~5hrs) or on 3x123 (~8hr).

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! Comments so far:

The Twin Task is a brilliant recommendation, and the one I hadn't thought of myself. It meets all the requirements; what's keeping me from going that route is the prospect of having to click-thru 3 times, every time I want to turn the light on in LED mode.

The X5T is an embarassingly good fit as well. I say "embarassingly" because for the past couple of years I've been saying it's old technology and there's no reason to buy one. But for this use, it's my best-fit so far. I've heard you tend to get 8 hours of reasonably useful light from the thing [for non-variable lights, I'm more looking for runtime to 5 lumens], which basically jibes with 5hours-to-50% number Eric cites above, and just barely meets my minimum requirements.

I thought about the Infinity, but I just don't think a lumen or two is enough here. I'm thinking of a MiniMag as being a baseline.

I had thought briefly about the 24/7, but didn't find any runtime numbers until Eric just cited them. 50% light output after 6 hours is pretty good, especially considering it uses only 1 123A light ... and especially if that's for the high mode, not the medium one. I definitely don't mind carrying 2 changes of batteries for it, and it should eat up batteries depleted from the TL-2, shouldn't it?

Anyway, the X5T and 24/7 seem to be the best fits so far, with 24/7 being the best.
I've also thought about a headlamp. Headlamps are great for short blackouts, but are uncomfortable enough (to me) for long use that I haven't considered this option heavily. You can always hold it in your hand, of course, so I'm keeping it in the running.

The Eternalite is a great fit also, now that I think about it. It can be used in low mode for a very very long time, and even high mode runtime is reasonable.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd pick up a red Inova X5T in a New York minute. In mine I've been squeezing the juice out of single 123 cells that come out of my 2-123 incandescent lights, just letting the thing run all night as a nightlight for jollies. It runs 'em right down to the faintest glimmer and it takes a looooooonnnngggg time indeed to do that.

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
24/7 ... u can run it on low mode which should last at least a few days.... den u oso have all those other cool modes like sos/distress/red led /.... and u can get one with the neck lanyard and the headband ro use it as a headlamp....

JimM

Newly Enlightened
I've been impressed with the output and long runtime I get from my minimag with white Inretech adapter on lithium batteries.
In the car, I have a Surefire 6P with a KL3 on it with extra batteries.
Jim

03lab

Enlightened
I think the UK 4AA eLED is a perfect emergency light, but it's more a flood light and uses AA batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I finally have an X5T, I really appreciate how it makes use of, otherwise, dead cells. It's small but built like a tank and will complement an incan which doesn't fully deplete 123 cells. Although the R/T plot shows four hours to 1/2 brightness, it's surprising the amount of useable light it'll give you from used 123 cells.

Rather than a head light, try an inexpensive NiteIze head band. They accomodate MM style 2AA and AAA size lights. The ability to aim isn't as good as a real head lamp but avoids a seperate purchase and lets you use high quality, small, lights which are durable.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with an EternaLight. Runtime is huge on low output settings, but you can run it on high when needed. Signaling and flashing modes could be useful for emergency situations. Fill it up with three lithium AA's and it will run long and tolerate the high and low temps of the car.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
03lab said:
I think the UK 4AA eLED is a perfect emergency light, but it's more a flood light and uses AA batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you don't mind buying 2 lights (and what flashaholic doesn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), I'd suggest getting the UK 4AA eLED and the UK 2L. Then put the eLED module in the UK 2L, and use that in your BOB. This gives you a lightweight, waterproof, luxeon light that runs on 2 CR123s and gives you 8-9 hours of constant regulated light. It's as bright as the Inova X5T, but weighs less and the beam should throw farther (see flashlightreviews.com for throw/output numbers). And because it's regulated, it should be able to use those partially depleted batteries from your Streamlight TL2. Plus you'll have the UK 4AA eLED body with the 2L xenon lamp module to use around the house. Two great lights for about $45 ($20 eLED, $25 2L). I've done this and I'm using the 2L/eLED as my EDC.

the beakman

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Eternalight here. The selectable levels + signalling + lithium setup makes for a good, long lasting light. Also, add a PT40 to the bag and that makes for a decent light for some throw.

You may want to consider having a headlamp in your setup as well, I think the PT Matrix 2 should allow for 2 Lithiums for long term storage, but I could be wrong...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto those recommending a headlamp. Especially if you're keeping it in your car. They can help tremendously with roadside repair, and can pull double duty as lanterns if you strap them around poles, trees, etc..

I also recommend using a decent sized hydration pack as a bugout bag, if you anticipate having to travel significant distances on foot.

Personally, I use my Camelback H.A.W.G. which I normally keep loaded with lights, a stove, utensils, ID, extra cash, etc., and of course 3L water reservoir. It's basically an expanded upon overnight bag. If I anticipate more severe bugout conditions, I can throw it into my full sized backpack, which has a tent, additional clothing, etc. I refuse to keep the latter in my car, though, since I'm concerned about someone stealing it. Maybe if I move to a better area I will.

My overall philosophy about emergency preparedness is to NOT add very much extra stuff to what you normally use in the first place. If you feel you need to, you should probably make some changes to your lifestyle instead (such as EDCing). Hence, I don't need a seperate bugout bag, and I don't need extra lights specifically for bugout purposes.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree the Eternalite is a good fit! On brightest mode, it's bright enough for non-tactical use. And on dimmer modes, which will be appropriate most of the time, it runs practically forever. And, it can take lithium AAs. My only problem with it is that I can't get it at wholesale through my source. I'm actually helping a buddy do some little emergency bags as well, and the price of 3 or 4 Eternalites at full price is probably a bit much.

The UK 2L + eLED head is a great idea. 8-9 hours on 2L? Have you tested that, or is that the claimed spec? I assume to get close to that, it's putting out less than 15 lumens, which is just fine. If we follow this idea, we end up with a 2L+eLED for the emergency bag, and an extra UK 4AA for the house.

The Inova 24/7 continues to look like the strongest contender on paper. I say "on paper" because I've been looking up old threads, and am a little concerned about how finicky the switch is, especially for this type of application. Inova X5T isn't quite as good of a fit as the 24/7, but one thing we know is that it has rock solid reliability. Unless I can convince myself the 24/7 is reliable enough, the UK2L+eLED idea might be best, especially considering we already have UK2L hosts, so only need to buy the 4AA eLEDs for the heads.

Thanks again for all the responses, I sincerely appreciate them, and keep the ideas coming...

Joe

beakman

Newly Enlightened
The runtime for the UK 2L + eLED was posted elsewhere on CPF. Actually, now that I think about it the runtime was more like 7 - 8 hours, but that's still pretty darn good in my book. The runtime for the 4AA eLED shown here was 13 hours, so 8 hours for the 2L seems about right.

the beakman

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Agree the Eternalite is a good fit! On brightest mode, it's bright enough for non-tactical use. And on dimmer modes, which will be appropriate most of the time, it runs practically forever. And, it can take lithium AAs. My only problem with it is that I can't get it at wholesale through my source. I'm actually helping a buddy do some little emergency bags as well, and the price of 3 or 4 Eternalites at full price is probably a bit much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Ergo model is only $25 for a refurb or $30 for new. Contact them, they may offer an even better price if you're ordering a few. IMHO the flexibility of the eternaLights makes them ideal for a BOB.

eternaLight Ergo

DBrier

Enlightened
I thought that the runtime of the UK eLED with lithium AAs was more like 17-18 hours? I read it in a thread about someone testing it in thier freezer. That would be nice.