VIN on a car window

Reptilezs

Enlightened
why do people put there VIN on there car window? be it in a sticker or etch i dont see a point except for making the car easier to steal. someone takes the vin to a dealership and the dealer makes a key. then thief steals your car. maybe somone can explain to me the real purpose

avusblue

Enlightened
It's "supposed" to be a theft deterrent, because it theoretically makes a stolen car more difficult to stip and sell for its parts value when the windows and body panels are etched with the VIN. But in reality, it's nothing more than a profit source for the car dealers that sell the etching service.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the window is etched, make it harder for the parts to be sold on the black market since they cannot be installed on a vehicle with a different VIN number. Windows as well as airbags are two of the valuable parts of the car in the black market.

I dont think it's quite that easy to just bring a VIN number to a dealer and have a key made. VIN numbers are CLEARLY visible on ALL cars right through the front windshield on the drivers side.

Yes, it does cost money to get the windows etched, however:
1) It acts as a theft deterrent because theives know that the parts will be more difficult to sell.
2) You get a discount from your insurance company for having your windows etched.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Only a few car dealers track the keys via VIN. Make that almost none. Most often they use the VIN to determine which key blank to use.

The actual key code is marked in one or more places on many cars. The reality is that it takes a professional locksmith less than 1/2 hour to make a new key without seeing the code. Car keys are, in general, easy to work with.

Daniel
(amateur locksmith as a hobby)

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
All the above are correct as far as I know. I believe the stat is, you have a 62%-68% (can't remember which) less chance of having your car stolen if the windows are etched. This is verified to at least some extent by the fact that some ins. companies offer a discount on a premium.

The dealer makes money selling the service. The ones that sell the etching and don't just give it away often give a ins. policy against theft, $5,000 is common. I don't know the specifics of it like whether the claim is only paid if the car is never recovered.

To get a key made via a VIN you are supposed to supply a registration and drivers license that match. Every new GM vehicle that's sold is supposed to come with a key code that's attatched to the extra key. We make keys for people all the time via a VIN number. The charge is $10-$15 for the service plus the cost of the key. It normally takes about 30 minutes to get a key code sent to us from GM.

I believe a VIN is visible on all 1973 and newer vehicles that were built in America or sold new in America. I am working from recollection but I also believe 1973 was the first year of the 17 digit VIN.

Here is some more VIN trivia for your amusement:

The first digit of a VIN indicates the country where the vehicle was produced. 1=US 2=Canada 3=Mexico

The 10th digit indicates model year. S=95 T=96 V=97 W=98 X=99 Y=00 1=01 2=02 3=03 and so on.

There are no I's or O's in a VIN

There's plenty more info. in a VIN but that concludes trivia class for tonight.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
17 digits and the 10th indicates the year (at least since 1980). I don't know how to read the date prior to 1980. No Q's either.

Saaby

Flashaholic
VINs are a bit different for each car (Duh!) but they usually have a scheme to them. Generally you can find the VINning scheme out for your make and model on the internet or, if you're lucky, right in your owners manual.

Dave has a great start, but here is more info than you ever wanted to know about VINs.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that VIN etching is free if you buy the car used and it comes with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Except I don't think our car has VIN etching, I think it has some hokey security code etched into the window that is then linked, somewhere in some database, back to the VIN.

Even if you could make a key from the VIN a lot of cars (Especially newer cars) require the key to be programmed into a computer inside the car. In some cases (Jeep, Saab, others) the dealer must be present with their little dealer computer to program the key in. In other cases (Ford, Chrysler, most GM products) you can program a new key in yourself. In both cases, however, you need a pre-existing, working key to make the process work.

Some may say that is lame and just another way for the dealer to make money, but it is a good way to separate the novice car thieves (Who won't get past a transponder system) from the experts (Who will just tow your car away anyway.) You get to hear the example of Saab since they're the company I know the most about -- first year the 9-5 was was out in Sweden 6 (Maybe 8 -- under to though) were stolen. 5 thieves had keys and the last one was towed off. None just drove away on their own.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dealer isn't the only one who sells VIN etching so its not just a dealer profit tool. Much like buying a truck and buying a bed liner for $500 from the dealer or buying the truck and driving down the street to a store and buying the same brand bedliner for $250. If a dealer offers it then its just the same thing as a dealer offering any other extra aftermarket accessory for twice the cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
A lot of vehicles are coming from the factory with the VIN in multiple places. My truck has it on the front fenders, hood and doors.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Around here, about 2x/year, the police will etch your windows for free... The local Pols have it done as a constituant service

double_r76

Newly Enlightened
My experience with etched auto glass came after a golf ball made hostile contact with the passenger window of my Toyota. I called the local auto glass dealer for a replacement. They offered me a salvage window at a greatly reduced rate compared to new glass.

When the guy came to install it, it was etched with a VIN number and I put up a slight protest. He explained to me that no one he knows of has ever checked any of the VINs on any of the glass they sell. I consequently called the manager of the shop and was told that VINs are only checked by the police if the glass is discovered in an active chop shop. Otherwise, it is hard to prove any crime was committed and the victims of the theft have already been compensated by their insurance agency. What are they going to do with their rediscovered window?

-Randy