R123's - what's the latest?

easilyled

Flashaholic
R123\'s - what\'s the latest?

What is the latest regarding the R123s that JSB
was working on?

Will they be available with charger soon?

Can they be stacked?

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: R123\'s - what\'s the latest?

Thanks for that - still not sure on availability
or in what situations they will work.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Normal lithium 123 primary cell - 3.0 volts. The lithium ion rechargeable R123 delivers 3.6V nominal, and as much as 4.2V when it is coming fresh off the charger. They are the same size as a normal 123.

If you pop the thing into a 6V light (I'll use a Surefire 6P as an example here) which normally takes 2 x 123, you will get voltages as high as 8.4V, which will burn the lamp out in VERY short order. If possible, you should substitute the lamp with a 9V unit (SF P90/91) and you can then enjoy more light, with less guilt (rechargeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). So don't put them into 6V lights, bear in mind the different voltages.

The idea is to use components which can tolerate the higher voltage. One configuration I plan to test is the E1e+KL1, which is a one-cell config, but the KL1 is spec'ed for voltages from 3V to 6V, so feeding it 4.2V instead of 3.6V would be fine. Another config is the E1e+KL4 (TW4) spec'ed for 6V but capable of running on as little as 3V (3-6V). 4.2V to that config should be all right as well.

Someone has proposed a 3-cell config (Surefire 3-cell light) delivering up to 3x4.2V = 12.6V, and using a 12-volt lamp in there instead of the normal 9V lamp. That should be awesome to see.

Basically, make sure your equipment can tolerate the higher voltage.

As the cells are not yet available, most of this is speculation and should be taken as such.. but it's part of the fun of being on the cutting edge. I'm in line to have my P90/91 and KL1 blown up (though I'm quite sure the KL1 won't blow up because it's rated for so much more).

easilyled

Flashaholic

Thanks for answering that - I follow the gist of it
as far as how it should be applied (with caution!)

What I still don't know is how to acquire some.

Is there a waiting list I can put myself down on.

If so, for how many, and is there a charger to go with them.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Acquisition.. normally we'd buy them from JS Burly's, but at this moment they are still a preorder product, and it appears all sets have sold out. You might have to wait for the second batch. He sells the charger too, of course.

Watch the thread I posted, that will contain the info as the first batch takes delivery of a product that's never before existed (R123A with protection circuit specifically). We get to find out the hard way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it's a completely new product, hence the delays in shipping, difficulties in ordering and all that. I'm sure it will pass and that the second batch of orders to be accepted will be much smoother.

easilyled

Flashaholic

OK - thanks for letting me know.

I have been following the other thread too.
(In the dealers section)

I'm certainly looking forward to their general release
which I suspect is many months away unfortunately.

I was thinking about the Nuwai QIII which is an underdriven
3W with one CR123. In that situation, I'd hazard a guess
that 1 R123 would proably be OK.

What is your opinion?

Wildcat

Enlightened

Depending on the bin of the LED, 4.2 v is fine for a Lux III in direct drive.

Does anyone know if these cells will charge in a 150/168 charger with an adapter????

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Wildcat said:
Does anyone know if these cells will charge in a 150/168 charger with an adapter????

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked Jon about this, and he isn't sure yet.

easilyled

Flashaholic

I'm not sure what the bin is of the LED in the Nuwai QIII

I don't think the info. is divulged and its nearly impossible to remove the bezel to find out.

However one recipient did manage to do this using a blowtorch and reported that the led in his NQIII was a TV1K.

I'm not sure what the Vf is for that but I'd imagine
that it should take an R123?

Wildcat

Enlightened

I run a TV1K in a mag mod and power it with one 18650 cell. No added resistance. Pulls a little over 1A.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened

I hope this appropriate since JonSidneyB is a respected CPF member and we should all support him, but I was in Fry's today and I saw the Lithium Ion 123's for sale along with a CR2 size and others sizes for digital cameras. It was marketed under the name Juice Batteries. The CR123 was $9.99 and a charger with 1 CR123 was $39.99.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are those lithium ions protected or unprotected bare cells? The difference between the new R123s we're getting is the protection circuit. It would be interesting to see if someone else is putting protection circuits on them.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, I was a little excited by seeing these batteries at Fry's that I posted about them before doing a forum search. There is a previous thread about them here. No, they do not have a protection circuit.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those are bare cells. The same ones I introduced here at the start of the year.