Expedient fixes for ringy colored LEDs

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the situation: I have a CMG Infinity in green that has a big hole in the center of the beam. As a test I stuck a piece of Scotch Magic tape over the end to act as a diffuser and I liked the result. Since there is no lens to stick the tape to I need something else.

Has anyone tried something like #0000 steel wool on the offending LED to diffuse it? Did it work? Fine sandpaper?

I know that I will lose some throw with the diffusion, but I could live with the way it looked with tape test.

If you have tried anything directly on an LED to diffuse it please tell me what you did and how it worked out for you. (or didn't)

Thanks

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone posted a month or so ago about adding a lens by cutting a circle of plastic and holding it on with some heat shrink tubing. I think they were working on an Arc AAA. That would allow you to use WriteRight, tape or whatever and it should be reversible.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
For years, I've been using Scotch Satin Tape. It doesn't smooth out the beam quite as much as the Magic Tape, but it does allow almost all the light from your bulb to pass through. I just picked up an amber Infinity and I've been carrying it around in my pocket for a couple days with the satin tape over the end without it coming off. Even if it did come off, I'd just put another piece on in a few seconds.

The other option which I read about here somewhere, is to hollow out a regular pencil eraser and use that chucked in a drill with some kind of very mild abrasive (cheap toothpaste?) to frost your LED just a tiny bit. Go slow, a little frosting goes a long way.