KL5 Running On E1e Body.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has probably been discussed before but I thought I'd mention it anyway. I was messing around the other day and decided to try a KL5, (bezel of a L5), with a single 123 cell. I put it on a E1e body and man, was I surprised! I could detect no difference in brightness using 1X123 and 2X123! I used a E1e body, E2C adapter and a YC clickie that is one of the really short early E1 tailcaps that YC modded into a clickie many months ago. This is a really SHORT package with the KL5 looking like it has a little HA3 rod protruding from it's base. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know what you're thinking, "Yeah, but isn't it still too big with that L5 head?" Actually no. It feels good in the hand and the clickie is actually easier to use in such a short, (but stubby), package. I had a knife case around that fit the package perfectly and it's unobtrusive wearing it on a belt. Now, I don't have a light meter to check brightness and I haven't checked runtime but I've been using it off an on for a good while and have not detected any loss of brightness yet. It's really amazing how much pure white light and beautiful beam this little package delivers! I had a TW4 awhile back and this combo blows it away! I really like it and am going to use this package for awhile. Let the detractions begin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Hi Gene:
That sounds great! I always suspected the KL5 was just a KL4 with a bigger bezel. This seems to prove that.

I recently put the KL5 on an L4 body with the E2C, and a two stage Z52 with a 22ohm resistor. Like it better than the L5, even if it didn't have the two stage Z52. Looks like PK made the KL5 so it would mate perfectly to DSpeck's E2C. It not only looks great, it feels good in the hand. It's a poor man's U2, seeing it only has two levels of output. It should have the same runtime, on low, as the L4 with the two stage Z52. If it only had a normal Z52 or Z57, it would be a Turbo L4. I like it so much, it's staying just the way it is. I already put an M2 bezel on the L5 body, and put the KL4 back on an E1E body. I also have another L4 with a two stage Z52 with a 22ohm resistor.

oldgrandpajack

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene, that sounds GREAT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif But now I've got another expensive item to pine over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, no detractions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah Jack, I've been using the KL5 on a E2e body and E2C and liked it much better than the stock L5 set-up. This combo though is really neat and I'm sure runtime will suffer but so far so good!

Hi Scott! Yeah, don't we all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

bernhard, I don't have a picture web hosting site but if one of you fine gents would volunteer, I'd be glad to e-mail a scan so one of you could post the picture here. Thanks!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
Yeah Jack, I've been using the KL5 on a E2e body and E2C and liked it much better than the stock L5 set-up. This combo though is really neat and I'm sure runtime will suffer but so far so good!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would runtime suffer? 2x123 is 2x123 no matter what body you use isnt it?

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gene, Just tried it. Very cool! Mine isn't much brighter than my TW4, though. Your's must have a more efficient emmitter than mine. BTW, I've been running mine on 3AA's for awhile for use around the house.Very fun to play with different configurations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
if Scott hasn't already solved the pic-hosting problem I'd gladly volunteer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
just PM me in case ...
bernhard

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, please excuse the artifacts from the source scan, and behold the one... the only... the mighty Gene's KL5-E2C-E1E!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

image-cpf-gene-kl5-e2c-e1e.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hm ... well ... it is sure interesting ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
but after the first shock it looks strangely good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... and if it works ... :thumbsup.
bernhard

P.S.: any remote idea of runtime? and does it seem to run regulated on 1x123?

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
This thing needs an official name... Any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similar to this:

F1.jpg

Posted by GoldenLoki.

It's a "Surefire KL5 mated to and Arc twisty via an E2C adaptor, powered by a CR2 battery."

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... based on my experiences with CR2 cells, I'd rather go with a 123 cell in making the KL5 a single cell light. The CR2 has lower current delivery capabilities than the 123 cell, and even that poor little 123 cell will be pushed pretty hard. Youch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That said, that GoldenLoki photo IS pretty cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as the name, can't we just call it "Little Gene" or the "GeneBeam" or something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Or perhaps the "Pocket 5"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh! What about the "Genie"... (Gene-eeee)... get it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sample usage: "After my M$glite bit the dust, thank God I still had a Genie in my pocket!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Okay, I'm a bit punchy this evening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
FNinjaP90 said:
TW5, I guess. Where does the "TW" in "TW4" come from anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
The "TW" in "TW4" stands for Tactical Warehouse, who once sold a KL4 bezel on an E1 body as a complete flashlight.
They've since been asked not to sell the KL4 that way though, so you cannot buy them by the TW4 name anymore.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry this is a little off topic, but to add to what Craig said, I think the reason SureFire won't officially endorse driving the KL4 head on an E1E body is that some KL4 heads won't run very well at all that way, while others run very nicely. It probably has something to do with the differences in Vf of various batches of emitters in the heads.

All the above notwithstanding, if you've got a KL4 or KL5 head that works well on an E1E body, go for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

One cool thing about the 5-watters is that even a severely underdriven emitter still generates a surprising amount of light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Sorry this is a little off topic, but to add to what Craig said, I think the reason SureFire won't officially endorse driving the KL4 head on an E1E body is that some KL4 heads won't run very well at all that way, while others run very nicely. It probably has something to do with the differences in Vf of various batches of emitters in the heads.

All the above notwithstanding, if you've got a KL4 or KL5 head that works well on an E1E body, go for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

One cool thing about the 5-watters is that even a severely underdriven emitter still generates a surprising amount of light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine runs great! Here she is with her sister... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

E1e_Mods.jpg

Latest posts