93 acura intergra rs fuel pump location

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my little sisters car is broke down and they say its the fuel pump.im going to troble shoot it. but since ive never did a fuel pump on a 93 acura i dont know where it is.is it in tank like on some cars? cause that may be more work then ill have time for tomorow since car will be at dads and its a lng drive there.so please tell me where it is. plus from the vague susmtons she gave me i dont think its the pump it just wont start some times i assume it turns over .but id guess fuel pumps would show more smytons at high speeds or at high fuel demand

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acura fuel pumps are electric. Usually, when they go bad, they go bad, there's no intermittant running/stopping. If I remember (it's been a long time since my auto mechanic days) the fuel pump is located under the car just ahead of the rear wheel on the driver's side, about 3 inches from the door line. It's under a metal shield. When you turn the key on (but don't start the engine) you should be able to hear a clicking or buzzing sound coming from it.

What's more common, though, is Honda's (Acura's) system of using relays in the electrical system. The main fuel relay is notorious for going bad. I'm assuming the mechanic would've checked the relay, but you never know. The relays are in the fusebox, but not sure what number relay controls the fuel pump.

--dan

BobVA

Enlightened
What Dano said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hondas and Acuras have a rep for fuel pump relay failures, particularly when it's hot inside the car. Quick way to troubleshoot it (according to the Car Talk boys) is to buy one at the parts counter, then look for something like it under the dash.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Bob

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
Acura fuel pumps are electric. Usually, when they go bad, they go bad, there's no intermittant running/stopping. If I remember (it's been a long time since my auto mechanic days) the fuel pump is located under the car just ahead of the rear wheel on the driver's side, about 3 inches from the door line. It's under a metal shield. When you turn the key on (but don't start the engine) you should be able to hear a clicking or buzzing sound coming from it.

What's more common, though, is Honda's (Acura's) system of using relays in the electrical system. The main fuel relay is notorious for going bad. I'm assuming the mechanic would've checked the relay, but you never know. The relays are in the fusebox, but not sure what number relay controls the fuel pump.

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]cool ill look for that.i realy think she should just buy a new car.she has a real good job and i live so far away .

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did the fuel pump on my '94 integra. It's under the rear seat, although they changed the design for '94 so I'm not sure about '93.

I get an ocassional starting problem. Could that be caused by the relay?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so its inside the cab of car under rear seat? or do ya mean under car?

Monolith

Enlightened
Before you get too carried away, replace the fuel filter and see if the problem persists.

The following thread starts with a guy with a 98 Honda but one of the contributors, Driz6, has a 1993 Integra. He describes how he thought it was the relay/fuel pump and turned out to be part of the ignition system. Just a few more things to check out.

--> Click Here for Forum

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Monolith said:
Before you get too carried away, replace the fuel filter and see if the problem persists.

The following thread starts with a guy with a 98 Honda but one of the contributors, Driz6, has a 1993 Integra. He describes how he thought it was the relay/fuel pump and turned out to be part of the ignition system. Just a few more things to check out.

--> Click Here for Forum

[/ QUOTE ]o i know but thats what she says is wrong so i was wondering where pump was in case she was right. i hope i can duplicate problem.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
so its inside the cab of car under rear seat? or do ya mean under car?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pump bolts into the top of the tank. Under the rear seat is where you access it. Of course, you have to take the seat out to do that (which is not hard). But again, I'm not sure about the '93. They did change the body style in '94.

I would make sure the problem is diagnosed properly first, though. Can you describe what the problem is? Just doesn't start?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:...plus from the vague susmtons she gave me i dont think its the pump it just wont start some times i assume it turns over .but id guess fuel pumps would show more smytons at high speeds or at high fuel demand

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I missed this.

I have a similar problem, but it rarely occurs, and I've never gotten stuck. I replaced the fuel pump, distributor, spark plugs, and the wires are fairly new. I also replaced the fuel and air filters. So you see what can happen if you just start replacing parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I would check for fuel and spark first. That would narrow it down a lot.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I can ask my friend where the fuel pump is if you're still wondering. Just PM me.
I replaced the fuel pump on my '94 GS-R with a high pressure Walbro. It's nice. Whines a bit, but it's very strong (and I doubt it will every break).

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
drain the gas tank and drop it to the ground
(you may have a panel that lets you get to the pump with out droping the tank)
the pump will be inside the top of the tank.

you will notice more wires leading to the gas tank than needed for the fuel guage.
on my moms mini van and my car you can hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition
one time I was in a very minor collision and a crash sensor switch had to be reset for my fuel pump to work

I will go away now

raggie33

*the raggedier*
went there today tryied like hell to make it not start.it ran awesume i mean for a 4 banger its so darn fast. i used it all day. sadly it didnt show the problem man i worry about my sis breaking down. but she said it never stoped on her just sometimes it dont start but turns over/.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions to ask her--
What kind of gas does she use? (cheapo and/or low test by any chance?)
Did she ever notice the tanker that supplies the station pulling out just as she filled the car? (lots of crud stirred up, and, no, the filter in the pump does not catch all of it)
If this is the case, change the fuel filter (easier and lots cheaper). It may well be the filter as this type of intermittent problem is more likely to be fuel flow and not mechanical.

Do you always hear the fuel pump when you turn the key? (try turning the key but not turning over the engine, you should be able to hear the pump)

Checking for spark and fuel delivery was also good advice. The old adage still rings true -- if you think it's electrical, it's usually fuel; if you think it's fuel, it's usually spark.

When all else fails, it's a case for the All-American TMAI approach.

-(a different) Craig

(TMAI = Throw Money At It -- take it to a shop)