good new car?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i used to read all about cars and new what was the best cars but i dont do it no more/.my sister may need a new car .she aint into fancy stuff.she just wants dependble .dependable is a must.i was thinking a mazda 3 but i read its a ford focus and im not to sure if thats a good car what doo ya recomend in a small compact car must have auto she cant drive manual

Saaby

Flashaholic
The new Keroean cars are creeping up on the Japanese in reliability for a fraction of the cost.

I'd go with a lightly used Altima, Maxima, or Sentra. Japanese quality without the high theft rate associated with the Hondas and Toyotas.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check Consumer Reports Magazine, the April car issue at your library. They will give you the difinitive answer on reliability of new and used models and what is a good car, good value, safe, how to negotiate, etc. I would think the Toyota Corolla would be near the top of the list, maybe the Toyota Echo, but sometimes less obvious alternatives can be uncovered this way.

Don't decide on purchase price alone, but consider cost to insure as well. That can sometimes make a cheaper car more expensive to own. Also, reliability is worth a lot even if it is just your time and trouble to get warranty work done. And obviously gas mileage now that gas is so high.

Good luck!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Check Consumer Reports Magazine, the April car issue at your library. They will give you the difinitive answer on reliability of new and used models and what is a good car, good value, safe, how to negotiate, etc. I would think the Toyota Corolla would be near the top of the list, maybe the Toyota Echo, but sometimes less obvious alternatives can be uncovered this way.

Don't decide on purchase price alone, but consider cost to insure as well. That can sometimes make a cheaper car more expensive to own. Also, reliability is worth a lot even if it is just your time and trouble to get warranty work done. And obviously gas mileage now that gas is so high.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]i love that magizine.i used to read it all the time.that and the anual book they release

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You don't say what kind of driving she does. For commuting, you just can't beat the new hybrids. They are fuel efficient even in stop and go driving. I have a 2002 Prius and find it's great for local and long distance driving. The slightly higher initial cost is (so far) ofset by the higher resale price.

Despite the advanced propulsion system, the Hybrids are used and drive just like a conventional car.

There are used 2002 and 2003 Prius available with less than 10,000 miles.

Daniel

double_r76

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend bought a Mazda 3 about four months ago. Initially, I was a pessimist calling it a rewrapped Focus, but I must admit that I was wrong.

So far, it has been absolutely superb for her needs. Nice price, handles well, automatic transmission, good gas mileage, excellent fit and finish. I would definitely recommend it.

-Randy

Greymage

Enlightened
If I were on a budget and getting a new car, I'd seriously consider a Hyundai. They are much cheaper than Japanese, have a 5-year bumper to bumper and 10-year powertrain warranty, and their quality is getting pretty good.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can beat a toyota camry for the money, the four cylinder is a steal. Look at it's repair record and you will get an idea.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
If it was Me I would go with a Toyota. Either the Prius or a Matrix. Subaru seems to be a good car as well but I tend to drive lots of miles and am not so shure about the long term cost or parts and servicing due to the horizontaly oposed engine they use. Any one have any high mileage Subaru's ?
The Outback would be the model I would get if I was to get a Subaru.
One other thing.. It's kinda sad that no American cars have been mentioned on this thread sofar. It's sad that American car markers still don't "get it" and let Honda, Toyota, Subaru..ect tromp over them when it comes to reliability. I feel if I pay thousands of dolors for a vehical I should get atlest 100k miles before running into costly repairs and not need and engine or transmition for atlest 200k miles

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm not entirely sure it's fair to say that Draco...

However, IF you are talking head to head comparison of size and engine type, I don't believe the big three HAVE anything to compete with Civic/Corolla!!!

I have been lotsa miles in a Dodge Stratus, and in a Chevy Malibu in the last year or so. Both are pretty nice, but both had V-6 Power.

My buddy has an at least 5 year old Accord 4cyl/5 speed that's getting up in miles, but to my knowledge it has needed nothing except an emission part (oxy sensor). Car NEEDS a V-6, but does get down the road okay and isn't buzzy in the least.

I honestly think there would be no way to go horribly wrong with a Civic, Corolla, Mazda 3, Subaru etc.

I think one could go HORRIBLY wrong with a Ford Focus (or any small Ford or Chevy).

Lotsa various opinions eh?

Kirk

Enlightened
We've been very happy with our Scion xB for a year and almost 16,000 miles and with a Toyota Echo drivetrain, it should be very dependable. Lots of legroom front and back. Very distinctive looks. Comes standard with A/C, CD player, power windows and door locks, remote entry, and tinted windows for a price in the low $14s. Automatic is $800 extra. Plus the dealer has all sorts of accessories to "customize" it, if wanted.
Regards,
Kirk

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a used Subaru and believe there are possibly automatic transmission issues, because I had to have someone tear mine apart and found that there are other people with the same auto tranny issues.

Rex

Newly Enlightened
My Subaru Impreza automatic is 10 years old and never had any major repairs. Only the timing belt, spark plugs, tires, CV boots, battery have been changed. Having said that, it has never been abused and it has always been serviced every six months by the local Subaru dealer.