Surefire Name shows up in the most unusual places

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a small water purifier today. The MSR MIOX purifier was rated by Popular Science as the "Best of what's New" item for 2003. I kills all the common bad bugs including giardia and crytosporidium which I don't think any other portable device does (except maybe the steripen UV).

Anyway to get on with it, it uses two 123's along with salt to create the disinfecting agent. I was expecting Duracell, but to my surprise the name on those cells was "Surefire"

I guess now I have to share my 123's with my water purifier.

GregR

B-T-W this little guy, the size of a big marking pen is a gem! Do a search on "MSR MIOX" to find more info. I understand our troops in Afganistan are using it in the field because of it's tiny size and effectiveness.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi Greg, i'm interested in getting one of these too... Do you have a filter that you use with it?

And if you could do some kind of mini review I would appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cam

Arizona_Dan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire Name shows up in the most unusual pla

Greg -

Have read many glowing comments on the MIOX; sounds pretty nifty.

But I have seen one or two comments that it imparts a slight chlorine taste to the water. Have you used it yet, such that you can comment (one man's "slight" is another man's...)

Thanks.

Dan

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mini Review? humm maybe I'll be back in a week with one. I purchased it last evening and haven't used it yet, only installed the batteries.

According to what I've read it works by some sort of electrolytic action breaking down a tiny amount of salt water into chlorine, sodium ions and ozone, which is used to disinfect the water.

More to come...

GregR

lightemup

Flashaholic*

Greg, one of the things I'm interested in is the use of ordinary salt, i.e. I notice they have 'salt tablets' that come in a kit?..

I'll be watching for that review /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cam

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, here is my review of the MSR MIOX Purifier Pen. Although this may be better suited in another forum? Moderators feel free to move as appropriate)

Background:
The MSR MIOX was developed as a result of a collaboration of the MIOX corporation (which was formed in 1994) and MSR Mountain Safety Research. The project was funded through Government's DARPA. The MIOX website further states the Pen "Prototypes of the MSR MIOX Purifier were field tested in 2002 by the U.S. military forces in Afghanistan and other locations." and states that they have sold about 8000 units to the military/government. The Purifier Pen has also been successfully tested by the Air force Medical Evaluation Support Activity, the 82nd and 101st Airborne div, Joint Readiness Training Center, Navy Seals, Dugway Proving ground (it will neutralize Soman, Lewisite and VX nerve gas, smallpox, Plague, polio, anthrax) Their site also list other places where their units are installed for example USS Enterprise, Airbus A380 planes etc

The Purifier Pen:
The MSR MIOX Purifier Pen is approx 7" long, an inch in diameter and weighs 3.5 ounces. It comes with a nylon and mesh pouch, Surefire lithium 123's, a tube of 50 test strips and couple ounces of common rock salt.

The unit uses two consumables; common water softener rock salt and 123 lithium batteries (enough to purify 200 liters of water), they recommend Surefire Brand and give the web address and an 800 number.

The theory:
A quote from their web site "MIOX corporation has created and commercialized an extraordinarily simple process to disinfect water more effectively and more safely. The key component for these products is a membraneless, electrolytic cell that generates a mixture of oxidants in solution from salt water made from common water softener salt."

The unit itself:
The unit consists of two parts a top reservoir cap that holds the rock salt which has a screened bottom that admits water and the lower "pen shaped" portion that holds the batteries and electronics. Both sections are tethered together so they cannot be separated.

How to use it:
To use the unit unscrew this Salt reservoir cap to reveal the top of the body of the unit (this is where the action takes place). This little reservoir must then be filled with a tiny amount of water (1/4 teaspoon) that will become the disinfectant. After you fill this reservoir by dipping it into your water supply or by dripping a small amount, the Salt reservoir cap is screwed back on. The unit is shaken 10 times to transfer water from the bottom portion of the unit through the porous screened bottom and into the cap. This creates a tiny amount of salt water. After 10 shakes you hold the unit upright which allows the salt water to drain back down into the body of the unit. The Salt reservoir cap is then unscrewed. Holding the unit upright a pushbutton on the side of the body is pushed from one to four times depending on the amount of water you wish to disinfect. A light will come on indicating if the salt concentration is sufficient (if not put cap back on shake a few more times), If it is sufficient, the "Run" light will come on. When the Run light goes out, dump the tiny bit of disinfectant into the water you wish to purify from 500 ml to 4 liters. Mix or shake the water and check with a test strip (50 included). If the color on the strip is bright purple you made a good batch of disinfectant. Then let the water stand for for 10 minutes and check again for a good purple color. The water is good to drink after standing for another 20 minutes, although the manual states you may have to let it stand for a longer period for nerve gasses and up to 4 hours for cryptosporidium, a really nasty bugger. If test strips are not available an 8 times disinfectant overdose for your water will be safe (set pen to generate disinfectant for 4 liters and use this for a one half liter of water). Instructions seem rather complicated but once you follow them they really aren't.

The Taste Test:
I set the unit for one liter of water and then mixed this into a half liter. After a bit of stirring there was a barely detectable odor of chlorine but no chlorine taste what so ever. My water doesn't have any detectable chlorine aftertaste (to me anyways) and I still couldn't taste any.

The Price:
I found Campmor selling the unit online at a special price of $106. I paid $129 at REI locally they annually rebate in the form of a credit voucher about 10% of yearly purchases. So that would make my final price closer to $117.

More Info:
MIOX Home page....
http://www.miox.com/index.html
Popular Science Award
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/2003/article/0,18881,537109,00.html
Business Wire Article on Military Purchases...
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2003_Sept_16/ai_107795455

yellow1

Newly Enlightened

totally OT here, but i couldn't resist sharing...

There is another water filtration device that uses a portable UV light source to purify your water supply. it's a pretty neat concept that takes 4AAs instead of 123's like the MIOX. it's called the steri-pen, more details can be found here:

http://www.hydro-photon.com/pgs/products.html

REI used to have it, but no longer does. just search via google for more information.