Low light is ok or not ?

LoveCandle

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I moded my flashlight recently, in the nightlight I think it's OK but in the daylight it not very bright, even invisible so my question is : the low light is sufficient or not for a real condition of use ?

Usually I prefer a very bright light but finnaly may be I'm wrong ?

I remember a post of Vincent Unknow about a TOO BRIGHT flashlight then he prefer a low light

A bright light sucked a lot of energy too so !!! On contrary my light is very very very very long runtime !!!!

What do you think about ?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lovecandle,
For real use, it depends on what your needs are for the light. If you have a nightlight, and its intended to be used as a nightlight, then yes, dim is good enough, because once your eyes have adapted to the darkness, you won't need a lot of light to see your way around. So in this case dim is good. However, if you are using it at night to check on things in your backyard, or changing a tyre in the dark, then you'll need something brighter for sure. There's not right or wrong to having a dim light, just what you need it for, thats all. In your case you mentioned that its got a really long runtime, thats a plus as well esp since its a nightlight. Hope it helps...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Stanly, it is relative to your preferences and the circumstances, but in general I think brightness is often overrated, especially judging brightness in daylight conditions, and for most general task light uses, a dim light can get the job done without blowing your night vision. If it seems bright enough at night, then that is a good test.

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF LoveCandle,

I reckon a Surefire M6 is practically useless for finding a keyhole when you sneak in late, but useful for finding lurkers in the shrubbery. A Photon will let an attacker find you in the dark, but won't help you drive when your headlights fail.
Each light has its purpose(s). I suppose that's why I EDC several lights, as crazy as some others would think of me for this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want to test your light during the day, turn it on and look into the shiny end (not really recommended though). I'm sure you will still find it to be quite bright!

Don't stress if you don't think your mod is bright enough, it just means you need to build another mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like all things, it's a matter of compromise. You have to decide what best suits your needs. Personally, I'm starting to find that the 1LED 1AAA lights are a little too dim for me. So now instead of long runtime, I'd prefer higher output, but still want the 1AAA configuration for easy carry.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ditto to Stanley!

and in addition to that, daytime is not a good testing time, even the SF M6 looks a bit pale when compared to the sun ...

bernhard

redcar

Enlightened
It's according to what you need it for as already mentioned above. At night around the house the L1 on low is perfect. Outside in the yard at night the L1 on high is fine. During the day I use a G2 to look into hollowed out logs or under rocks to find geocaches and to make sure it's ok to stick my hand in there.