Why America's coast could be toast

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Why America\'s coast could be toast

independent.co.uk

10 August 2004
"It sounds like the plot of a fanciful Hollywood disaster movie. A dangerous volcano in the Canary Islands erupts, sends a giant tsunami travelling faster than a jet aircraft into the major population centres of America's east coast, killing tens of millions and wiping out New York and Washington DC.

But unlike the eruption in the 1997 film Volcano (which threatened in its tagline that 'the coast is toast') scientists believe the threat from the volcano of Cumbre Vieja on the island of La Palma is real, and that it could send a massive slab of rock twice the size of the Isle of Man crashing into the Atlantic...."

I'm not convinced that if this happens it'll be as bad as they're suggesting it might be. After all, the Canaries have been around for a long time and I've never read of great inundations occurring on America's east coast. But then again, the last Ice Age may have scraped away any evidence of one. In any case, there's not a lot anyone can do about it.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why America\'s coast could be toast

This kind of disaster may not be completely unprecedented. If I remember my history correctly, the Greek island of Santorini experienced a huge volcanic explosion and there is evidence that suggests that the resulting tsunami may have had a catastrophic effect on the entire culture living throughout the Greek Islands and Greek coastal areas at the time (the entire culture disappeared). I think this was about 3500 years ago, but I may be off on that. It has also been speculated that the legend of Atlantis may be grounded in this event.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, there was the volcano Krakatoa in the Pacific on Aug. 26, 1883:

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1883Krakatoa.html

"The paroxysmal explosion and collapse of the volcano of Krakatoa generated formidable tsunami waves that were up to 37 m (120 feet) in height. These waves destroyed 295 towns and villages in the Sunda Strait in Western Java and Southern Sumatra. A total of 36,417 people were drowned. The tsunami, being of volcanic origin (a point source) was only destructive locally in Indonesia. However, small tsunami waves were recorded throughout the Pacific."

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

The was a program on this (I think it was on the discovery channel) called Megatsunami. There was also another thread a while back. If I remember right, a 300m high tidal wave could strike the east coast.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Wowser!

At about 32 feet elevation here on the Gulf Coast it could get mighty wet in that scenario...

Oh well. Ain't a damn thing I can do about it. And there are worse things than dying!

flashlite

Enlightened

Uh oh. Time to get some dive lights.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even if the scientists could convince politicians of the (supposed) severity of the threat, how would you evacuate New York, Washington, Florida, etc. in even a couple of weeks, assuming perfect coordination? Impossible IMHO.

Empath

Flashaholic

Can you think of any place that is immune to the hazards in "what if" scenarios?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes, might actually be better to head for the beach and enjoy the last few hours there rather than stalled out on the highway a mile out of town, which is all the further youd get...

I'm thinking, big inflatable bubbles, you get in and fill it with air and then just ride it out. Cut yourself out wherever it settles...

A disaster movie problem calls for a hollywood solution /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
The was a program on this (I think it was on the discovery channel) called Megatsunami. There was also another thread a while back. If I remember right, a 300m high tidal wave could strike the east coast.

[/ QUOTE ]

1700 ft high tsunami Alaska 1958

HIGHEST WAVE EVER

Brightnorm

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i've also heard that yellowstone park is about to explode, but haven't looked into the matter personally.
they say that the last time it erupted, they found a herd of rhino suffocated to death in the ash, 1000 miles away.
(i have no idea whether this is accurate or not)

but you do have to wonder what it would be like for something like that to really happen...

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
yes, might actually be better to head for the beach and enjoy the last few hours there .....

I'm thinking, big inflatable bubbles, you get in and fill it with air and then just ride it out. Cut yourself out wherever it settles...

A disaster movie problem calls for a hollywood solution /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying Surf's UP ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Crap, I was worried about the two tropical storms that seem to have Pensacola in their sights right now. Now you're saying I need to buy a hot air balloon to help me avoid the "big one". This is all I need, thanks for nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lines from two songs come to mind:

"He who's not busy being born, is busy dying," and

"Everybody's gone surfing, surfing USA."

-(a different) Craig

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying Surf's UP ?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif probably ride the wave all the way to Ohio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, if that hits at the same time as yellowstone goes critical the 2 might cancel each other out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even the largest tsunami can only threaten a narrow strip along the shorline. If you want a real disaster, think about a major meteorite strike on Earth. At one point in Earth's history, we were hit so hard that the entire planet was disintegrated and reformed into two bodies (Earth and Moon). A strike like that is going to change your plans. However, all you need is a metorite a few miles wide to literally change life forever for everyone. And yes, these objects are out there. One hit Jupiter in 1996 (Comet Shoemaker-Levy) and another major object passed between the Earth and Moon a couple of years ago.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Things that I might worry about...

My dog (lab mutt) going "cujo"
Learning to like hearing Celine Dion
Thinking the neighbor's Maverick Grabber really is a muscle car (it is really clean though)
Forgetting how to open a bottle of cold beer
Getting to the point where my wife drives me nuts, I start wearing aluminum foil hats, and the hat gets hit by lightning (well, one of those could happen and it ain't the hat or the lightning)
Drowning in a Tsunami caused by a comet hitting Yellowstone Park

Hmmm, that last one's pretty far down the list.

-(a different) Craig