Any easy Mods for Mag Charger???

2nd2none

Newly Enlightened
Is there any Mods that I could easily do to a Mag Charger to improve the brightness and beam quality??
Thanks guys.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, 2nd2none!!

There are lots of MC mods.

Easiest is addition of the WelchAllyn 1160 bulb, available for about 5-6 bucks from flashlightlens.com.

It will double plus the output of the stock bulb.

Searches for threads with the clues MC60, MC11, MC85 will give you more info as a place to start.

Bill

2nd2none

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the stepping stones to help guide me on the right path for a Brighter future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope this isn't too far off topic since what I'm going to ask about is a descendant of the MagChargers..

The main difficulty is the reflector, I understand we can get the WA01111 and the Carley reflectors off the next group buy, but I'm not equipped with the tooling to adapt the reflector to the Mag. I'm using a standard Mag, not a MC, thinking of putting six AA cells into two of the 3toD holders by Elektrolumens.

If I'm not wrong, if I could get hold of a pre-modified reflector, it would be a simple drop-in, right? Replace the reflector, bulb, slot in the two battery carriers and I'd be good to go.

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
Yes pop a 01160 in your MC.
I did it, and it's awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But beware, after this you'll want more lumens.. i sure do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL,

The answer to your question is yes, if you can get one of the modded reflectors.

There is talk that Carley may keep the modded for Mag reflectors in stock, so you may be able to buy them off the shelf.

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. I was stumped for a while because I couldn't justify buying $99.95 worth of power tools to chop up a $10 reflector. Ginseng's idea of running 6 1400mAH sub-Cs gave me a good idea about driving them on AA NiMH, my NiMH may not do 10 or even 5 amps, but 3 is comfortable for them. 2D Mag with 6 NiMH and WA01111 overdriven = poor man's RECHARGEABLE Surefire M6. No lithium here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I hope the plastic bulb post of the traditional Mag is up to the task of handling continuous runtime from this beast, I don't want the switch to disintegrate into a puddle of runny liquid.

I'll be awaiting the next group buy eagerly..

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even better, 3D mag, 3 3AA to D adaptors and an 1185 bulb equals 1000+ bulb lumens, more than 700 out the front, with a run time of twice the M6, and no 18 dollar and hour batteries!!

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mantra is always "MORE LIGHT, MORE LIGHT" ain't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not like there is anything wrong with it.. just that I have a charger which takes 4 AAs, and that means 9 AAs would take three charge cycles to reload the light. Six AAs on the other hand mean only 2 charge cycles and less NiMH I have to buy. Still the amazing 1185 is pretty much the reference standard by which all others are judged.

This is my reference..

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

The bulb pedestal of the Mag D/C is actually pretty robust. I have run WA01185 on repeated full pack discharges and have not encountered any problems. You will smell the stink of anguished plastic, though. The only issue I've ever had is with the switch assemblies which use a spring as the bulb-base contact instead of the more common metal plunger. I've had some bulbs actually melt the solder blob at the base of the PR base and solder themselves to the spring. One such bulb was the 4.8V4.1A WA01183. I know it's rated at 3.85A, but it pulls considerably more than that at the spec voltage. A truly hungry but killer 4-cell bulb.

The switch internals will handle the WA01111 without any problems.

Wilkey

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm the Mag seems to be able to take a lot more abuse than it's usually given credit for. I know of plastic lights that can't even tolerate a Lux3 at 510mA.

The 1183 seems good for people who want to shell out for longer runtimes on NiMH D (why do I suddenly feel tempted, maybe it's because I have a 4D sitting around here new in box)..

I've been reading a little and it seems like just yesterday the 1185 was the frontier. Bill, Wilkey, thanks for lighting the way for the rest of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it may not be the absolute bleeding edge today, but it sure is great to be able to have the chance to walk the path for the rest of us. And cheaply, too - Bill's post in another thread about the low cost inspired me to check up on the Superbulbs. When I add up all the numbers, it's cheaper than a Lux5 upgrade.. and a HECKOFALOT more light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif