Win XP SP2 question

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually 266mb and yeah, it's likely to take some space on your drive, especially if you use that backup option.
I didn't take note of how much it took on my comp but a friend of mine had 600mb left on his laptop and could get it to install...

cy

Flashaholic
disk requirements reach 1.1 gig if installed from a shared folder. 1.4 gig if installed from CD. disk req SP2

Important! only download from MS site. There are reports of altered SP2 downloads from other sites.

more SP2 info

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be smaller if you wait for the windows update version. The all-in-one standalone install that is 266MB is intended for system administrators to roll out to multiple workstations, as it includes everything for every version of XP (home, pro, embedded, CE, media center, etc). It is also there to releive the bandwidth needs of the windows update site for large corporoate rollouts (1 266MB download for 10,000 systems, vs. 10,000 systems hitting windows update for 30-60MB each).

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
This whole XP OS must have a *huge* footprint on most peoples' hard drives, much if it caused by inadequacies of the OS itself. Long gone are the days of making a system bootable DOS diskette. I'd like to see a Google-branded version of Linux. I'd buy it in a snap.

GOOPENG.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
This whole XP OS must have a *huge* footprint on most peoples' hard drives, much if it caused by inadequacies of the OS itself. Long gone are the days of making a system bootable DOS diskette. I'd like to see a Google-branded version of Linux. I'd buy it in a snap.

GOOPENG.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, keep crying. XP is bigger because it has more that the o/s in it. Web browser, dialup support, photo tools, email, compression, etc. And MS got smart and copied the install files to the hard drive, so there's a complete set of the source file in there also.

I don't think I heard anyone complain when MS included zip support in the o/s (except maybe winzip.com).

Some of us need to step back to the days of win 3.x. It cost about the same (wonder how they compare in adjusted dollars), and did not have any of the extras we've come to enjoy.

As far as sp2 goes. It's a ~250 meg download, which will expand into ~350 megs. Then it gets installed. After that you can delete the install file/etc.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just installed it last night on two different computers.
Took about 1 hour.
The download for the one computer was 75MB and for the other it was 77MB.
Didn't notice any major free space difference after the install.

So far I like the pop-up blocker.
Stronger than Google's.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I downloaded the administrator version at work so I could take it to two other computers and update them without doing a separate download (on dial-up). It was a hefty 266 MB.

Latest posts