continueous run time

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
Being a newbie can someone explain runtime for me. I know it sounds obvious but when it says continueous runtime is 60 minutes does that mean straight time or if i use the light ten minutes here and tomorrow 15 minutes. And how can you tell when the time is almost over, will the light start to dim?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a bit subjective, but it's usually for if you have the light on non-stop for that time, and it is often measured until the light hits 50% of it's original brightness. To the human eye, that's where it appears to really start dimming.

BTW Welcome to CPF! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, and learn to spend all your money in no time.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
So the light can go longer than the 60 minutes. I had a guy at a gun shop tell me that it means the light will only go 60 minutes in any combination

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. I already have a few lights picked out.$$$$$$$

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think usually the manufacturers will overstate the runtimes on their lights, so you have to be careful. Intermittent use of a light will give it longer runtimes, as compared to a one shot, continuous use. AFAIK, Surefire is one of those few that are honest and modest with their runtimes on their lights, while others tend to push their luck sometimes... Having said that, Roy has done a wonderful job of compiling a runtime plot of many different types of lights available. Look no further for unbiased, real life runtime (continuous use) figures for lights! (Thanks Roy by the way...)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience has shown that Stanley is right - don't count on claimed runtime for most lights. Batteries can vary from cell to cell and some will quit long before others from the same batch. Deducting, roughly, 30% from the manufacturer's R/T seems to be close for incandescent lights. LED lights tend to overstate their R/T even more; sure, they'll produce light for 30, 50, 80 hours etc., but most of it is unusable.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
And to add, sometimes you just can't do a continuous runtime until the batteries run dry if temperature builds up tremendously. My Surefire G2Z was loaded with a P61 HOLA and according to Surefire the 2 CR123 batteries should last 20 mins on a P61 but just 10 to 15 mins into using it the batteries suffered thermal shutdown because it is too hot. Nitrolon lights from Surefire could only be used with P60 if you intend to use it continuously because heat could not escape if it build up too fast.