Best O-ring Lubricant

tygger

Enlightened
Anyone know of the best silicone/teflon grease for o-rings in flashlights? I've tried MG Chemicals silicone grease but its not working that great. Still have lots of resistance. Thanks in advance.

Streak

Enlightened
That's strange. You may have a mechanical problem that lubrication will only fix to a certain degree. I have found that almost any silicone grease makes a hige difference if the o ring is dry.

KenBar

Enlightened
I had the same problem. I took a toenail clippper, the kind that is round ( not flat ) on the end, and clipped carefully the extra foam that hangs over the side..( assuming you are talking about Arc? ).
This kept the rubber from reacting/rubbing/ etc with the case and has almost 100% fixed my problems. I also clean the threads carefully with a Q-tip if they have become fouled.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use dielectric silicone compound - the kind you get at automotive stores for spark plug wires. A thin coat on the O-ring does wonders. Havn't had one seize yet.

mahoney

Enlightened
I use Parker O-Lube. It's what I use when repairing pneumatic nailers and it works very well. Unfortunately it comes in large toothpaste style tubes that would be a several lifetime supply if you are just lubing the o-ring in your flashlight.

tygger

Enlightened
Actually i'm not fortunate enough to own an Arc LS yet. the keyword there is "yet." Just looking for grease for other flashlights i've got. Thanks for all the info. First thing tomorrow i'm on a treasure hunt at the toy store, i mean, hardware store.