Water in my SF E2e

shogun

Newly Enlightened
I rinsed my E2e under running water after getting mud on it. The bezel was screwed in tight and the tailcap was in the lock out position. While wiping it with a piece of cloth, I was confident that no water could have gotten in. Just to make sure, I removed the bezel and to my surprise, there were drops of water on the bottom of the lamp where the positive end of the battery touches. It is supposed to be water resistant so I was wondering what could have caused the leak.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should NOT have happened. I would contact SF CS and have them fix or replace it. The E2e is supposed to be "dunk proof" which includes washing it off under running water.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is the tail cap - could it have been locked out too far? Try rinsing it again without cells inside, switch screwed in to the on position and see if it leaks. I'm also wondering if the end switch needs pressure on it, from the cells, to properly seat? If that's the case then the lights would have to be loaded with cells and in the on position. That would mean the light is only water resistant when it's on. Maybe an expert will reply.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the water only in the bezel end or was it in the battery compartment too? If it was just in the bezel end, chances are that is did NOT come from the tailcap... Are all the O-rings in place?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the light been dropped?
Are the o-rings clean and lubed?
Are the threads clean?
Too tight can in some cases be as bad as too loose. The o-rings are soft and pliable and will crush, and any grit in the threads can be ground in if over tightened -- don't try to kill it, just get it tight.

Good luck.

-(a different) Craig

shogun

Newly Enlightened
There were droplets only in the bezel area. I've never dropped the light and all the o-rings are where they're supposed to be. I've got them lubed with silicone grease but I'm not sure how much of it is enough. I hope water got in only while unscrewing the bezel so I'm gonny try again just to make sure of it's water resistance and let it air dry for a few hours before opening.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less is more you should take the O-ring off and apply a very thin coat over the whole thing.

shogun

Newly Enlightened
Size15s is right! I let it stand for a few hours after re-rinsing and it was dry inside. Whew!