L2 head on a L1

B

Bluedog

Has anyone tried putting a L2 bezel on a L1 body? Is the output any greater?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, as an L2 bezel on an L1 body would be devoid of regulating electronics (L2 has it in the body, L1 in the head, if I'm not mistaken), I would think it would be much brighter as it'd be direct drive.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would expect that since both the L1 and L2 have their drivers in the body that a L1 on L1 would be a 5W LED that the L1 will be attempting to drive at 300+ mA on a single 123 cell. I assumed a very underdriven 5W. What I got in just experimenting was nothing. No light at all. It may be that I have some issues with ground and anode path connections or perhaps not. I would be willing to suggest that putting the L1 head on the L2 will put you in the market for a new LED real quick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've just put the L2 bezel on the L1.
The result I got was a very dim output.
More than the L1 on low but less than the U2 on lowest level.

The L1 and L2 feature "dumb" bezels with the magic being contained within the coffins in their bodies.

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
AL,
Thanks for the data point! I feel vindicated even though I got "no where" with my set up. I think the L2 head in DD on a straight L4 body makes sense for efficient and cool running. Putting it on a L1 body is a good excersize in uh............ uh........ flashaholic silliness? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
talking silly: why would putting the L1 head on the L2 kill the LED?
IMHO the L2 is set at about 700mA and we pushed more through a Lux1 ...
???????
bk

Kiessling

Flashaholic
me neither, especially since I do not own either of the lights, I am just scientifically curious as I do not understand Don's comment.
bk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Argh!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Bernhard, to my knowledge, the L2 hosts two boost circuits for the 5W. If you put in a LED with a VF that is below the Vin of the batteries, I assume you will have a direct drive situation. 6 volts will typically do the nasty to a Lux III. I am by no means on these magic converter circuits so I could be wrong but *I* certainly see cause for not finding out...........

Kiessling

Flashaholic
oh ... ah ... guess I was *very* stupid here ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ... I not my day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
oh my, nevermind.
bk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I don't have either a L1 or L2 right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If anyone has removed the coffin from an L2, how different is the circuit from the L1 circuit? Maybe we can figure out how to boost the L1 circuit this way...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tyler,
There are two circuit boards in the L2. I seem to have misplaced the one I removed from a L2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
More than the L1 on low but less than the U2 on lowest level.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the low setting on the U2 is greater than on the L1?

Bummer. The L1 setting is perfect.

-john

Ralf

Enlightened
That means, the L2 have two boost circuits?
An rather expensive way to have two regulated modes.

Is there enough room in the L1 to take two boost
circuits as well or a boost ciruit and an pwm driver?

Cheers
Ralf

redcar

Enlightened
That sounds about right AL,

the little pamphlet that came with my L1's said .7 on low and I think the U2 is supposed to go down to 2. Right?