HD LD + Reflector

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy!
Having read some treads here regarding the use of optics vs. reflectors here, I ordered some of the latter from Wayne.
Now I realize, all of You consider high dome Luxeons best for these. If more light goes out to the sides (lowdome) should these not be even better then?

No matter what, I will try the reflectors, but am wondering now .....

Kiessling

Flashaholic
some comparison shots between a HD and LD mounted in a PR reflector and both powered at 700mA:

LD_PR_front_end.jpg

LD_PR_corona.jpg

(LD on the right)

LD_PR_hotspot.jpg

Hotpsot comparison, underexposed corona

LD_PR_baumHD.jpg

HD outside at 6m

LD_PR_baumLD.jpg

LD at 6m

In the end the LD produces a good medium flood with an acceptable beam quality. The only problem is that there are currently no new LDs with EOS phosphor technology available, so you'll get something blue and/or green and mostly not white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Otherwise the LD is really ok, I like the beam pattern especially with the NX05 much better than the HD because you have a huge hotspot that fades gently into the corona and lets you see much much more outside than the HD / NX05 with the little hotspot and weak corona.

But I am alone here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bernhard

Zman

Enlightened
Bernhard-
I thought low domes now did get the new technology, and were given a new part number as well. If you go to luxeonstar.com, you'll find part numbers
LXHL-MW1C AND LXHL-MWEC both listed as Batwing star hex. I think one of them uses a new process. A search of the forums might verify...good luck!
Charlie

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
The only problem is that there are currently no new LDs with EOS phosphor technology available
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernhard: I don't think it is widely known but white LDs are now available with the EOS phosphor technology. They are sold with different part numbers, LXHL-BW02 for the emitter and LXHL-MWEC for the Star. I just checked the Future website and both show in stock. I have not seen, but would like to, a side by side comparison of the two LD types with various optics/reflectors. At this time, the LDs with the original phosphor application continue to be made also.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ah ... thanx guys ... I wanted to say "no LDs with EOS in adequate bins", at least that was the case 2 months ago.

In the shots above a LuxIII T-bin is plotted against an R-bin LuxI LD which should be a fair comparison, or at least close to fair. Don couldn't find me an adequate EOS LD at the time he made this head for me.

Maybe one with a new LD can chime in here?
I am quite fond of those LDs ...
bernhard

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Jr Lux uses the EOS LD. Mine is a QY0J. Nice bin. I plan to put a QW0H HD in when I get time.

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Bernhard,You are not alone.The LD with a NXO5 has a very nice beem.I find myself using the LD's more than the HD's.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NX05 was designed for the LD. So that makes sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
good to have companionship in these hard HD infested days ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, got the shipment today.
IMS Reflectors in 17, 20 and 27 mm.
Immediately checked them with the ordered Lux IIIs and the 1 watters around here, and must say that I am dissappointet.
These reflectors make extremely thight spots with no sidespill (Mod will be some 2 AA lights, no large throw necessary).
Within the reflectors, the 20 mm works best.

I also tried NX05 and Fraens, and for LowDomes, the NX05, for HD the Fraen rule.

(to me it also seems, that the reflectors put out less light than the optics. This cant be true, because when unsing the optics, the LED die and area around got some light, but the light on the wall is better)

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note:

If you like the beam profile of an optic (I also agree NX-05 + LD is good), try putting a reflector in back of the optic. It increases spill, and may increase throw (not sure about this, since I haven't yet made a direct comparison of the hotspots).

As an example, I cut back a m%g AA reflector to fit in my micra, and have an NX-01 on top of it (the fins on the reflector happen to press fit perfectly into the micra barrel). The increase in sidespill is very noticable. It is still, however, not as bright as the spill cone from a typical reflector, but then again with this optic you get a much larger hotspot. You also get that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you're not wasting light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'd be interested in knowing how it works with an NX-05 + LD if anyone tries it. I broke one of the leads off my last white LD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, and have no immediate plans to get more.