Here comes Charley...

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm right in the middle of the forecasted path of hurricane Charley here in Sanibel Island. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I will probably not be online for a couple of days for anyone who is looking for mod updates, shipping status, etc. The City of Sanibel has ordered mandatory evacuations starting at 7 AM tomorrow. I will probably stick it out unless the forecast deteriorates further though.

Right now Charley is expected to be here late in the AM on Friday as a Cat. 1 or Cat. 2 storm with winds of 85-100+ MPH. This area hasn't seen a Cat. 2 in 40 years. This is not a "monster" storm, but the storm surge could be a big problem. We could see an 8-10ft. surge on an island that is 3ft. above sea level, and the surge is due at high tide, which is the worst possible scenario.

Lots of preparation to do tomorrow... Be back as soon as possible, but it might be a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Peter

Greta

Flashaholic
Be safe Peter! We'll see you on the other side! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I've been visiting Sanibel with my family on and off for probably 20 years now. It's always been one of my favorite spots. My mom almost moved there 2 years ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Next time I'm there I'll keep an eye out for the other guy on the beach after dark with lots of flashlights!

take care, don't stay too long.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Sasha and James. I really love a good storm, and I've enjoyed several in the 26 years I've been here, but it looks like the "real deal" this time.

After hearing the 11 O'clock news just now, it's likely that I will secure my property tomorrow and get off this little spit of sand.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif Hi, Yes I'm still alive. If anyone needs to contact me, they can reach me in the evening on my cell phone @ 239-246-9383.

I don't have power, and it could be another two weeks before it's restored. Other than needing a new roof and having *lots* of cleanup to do, things are OK.

Lots of roof damage here on Sanibel and *thousands* of downed trees (including most all of the towering Australian pines on Periwinkle Way). The landscape has been changed dramatically here, and life is pretty surreal at the moment.

Be back as soon as I can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Peter

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, Peter, you didn't stay on Sanibel, did you? I was north of you at Englewood. Sanibel's where Charley came ashore. I saw the high angle footage. I was down there a couple years ago, sorry to hear about the pines on Periwinkle.

Good to hear you are OK and best wishes on getting everything fixed up. Hope you've got somewhere with AC to get some rest.

Britt