New to LEDs; want some in my car

M

MadCow

I am totally new to this forum and didn't really know where to ask this, so bear with me if I am doing something wrong. I just got my drivers liscense and the family minivan along with (it does have 4 wheel drive and a v6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif). To spice things up a little, I just added a string of chili party lights around the inside with another string to come. I thought it would be cool to have some deep blue lights under the seats and in some various places. The first thought that came to my mind was a ccfl which I use in my computer case, but that seemed too big, expensive, and power-hungry for what I wanted. Then I thought LEDs. I started searching around the internet and found that choosing the right led and number would be tough. Then I found this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
So here's the situation:
I am currently using the 12v adapter (only one in car) to power a 140 watt inverter to power the chili lights. I am guessing that I should stick with the standard 12vDC which I could probably find a way to wire another lead from the battery.
I have several places throughout the car which I would like to add lights: under each seat (front two captains chairs, middle 2 captains charis, and back bench) and in the foot areas in front of the front chairs. I would like to be able to turn them all on at the same time, and maybe even the chili lights included (that means turning on the inverter). I need to know which/how many leds to buy and where from. (will buy online or at radio shack etc.) What/how many resistors to get and any other electronics. I dont mind the wiring or soldering, but I just dont know enough about leds to know what to get and how to organize the circuits.

Oh, I almost forgot, I was thinking of a deep blue color for the leds. I also dont know if I should use more than one led per area. Sorry for writing a book, and I hope you can help me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif