5W LED DownBoy anyone?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to search for post(s) about a 5W DB configuration. I found only one and I not sure if it's the one I'm thing about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif It's usally a Lux-III with a DB and a 5W BB setup!

Any comments from users?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PR-T LuxV DB750 built by Don that will permanently sit on a McLux 3x123 power pack. I wanted it as a light for my wife to use as the 3x123 configuration is easy to hold and the LuxV paired with the PR gives a nice big hotspot. Only one problem...it gets pretty hot after being on for a bit. In one informal runtime test I got 2+ hours, but needed to constantly switch hands (yes, I actually held on to the thing for the whole test) until output started to drop.

I still think the configuration is valid for the purpose that I want, but am waiting for the Aleph3 heads to come out (for a little better thermal management and throw) and will get the setup done on the e-screw. If I don't like it, I'll just set something else in there.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey bart. That isn't fair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BigHonu said:
I have a PR-T LuxV DB750 built by Don that will permanently sit on a McLux 3x123 power pack. I wanted it as a light for my wife to use as the 3x123 configuration is easy to hold and the LuxV paired with the PR gives a nice big hotspot. Only one problem...it gets pretty hot after being on for a bit. In one informal runtime test I got 2+ hours, but needed to constantly switch hands (yes, I actually held on to the thing for the whole test) until output started to drop.

I still think the configuration is valid for the purpose that I want, but am waiting for the Aleph3 heads to come out (for a little better thermal management and throw) and will get the setup done on the e-screw. If I don't like it, I'll just set something else in there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your's was the post that I found in my search. I think that I'd want a PR head for better heat transfer. I'm waiting for the BE4(balrog) powerpack tubes and will be using 2xPila 168S.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Luxeon V with a DB833 in a SF Turbohead quite regularly. It does get hot, but ive ran the thing continuously many, many times and its still working fine. Not visibly dimmer, and no drop in lux either according to my LM631.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks responders! I'm sold on the configuration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif