21000mcd LEDs @ eBay

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won this ebay auction for 20 21000mcd leds.

Anyone tested them?

I received a brief review from a non CPF user that says they have a little blueish center with yellowish sidespills.

reviews? comments?

I guess I'll receive these in 2 weeks or so

Pablo

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That viewing angle of 7.5° is probably why this LED has such a high mcd value.
Most white LEDs have a viewing angle of 20°.

I have not tested or seen one of these LEDs though, so I can offer no additional information about them.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I just want to point out that the viewing angle for these is probably 15°, not 7.5°. For some reason many of the LEDs on eBay have viewing angles specified as +/- rather than just a number. For example, +/- 10° means a viewing angle of 20°, or at least it appears to based on the LEDs I've received. I really do wish these sellers would stick to standard definitions, however, since I hate to have to guess at what I'm buying.

If the viewing angle was only 7.5° then the lumen output would be no more than many of the 10,000 or so mcd, 15° or 20° LEDs being sold on eBay for ~$0.25 each shipped. That would certainly not justify the premium price these are selling for ($0.75 each shipped). These definitely have (if the specs are correct) 1.5 to 2 times the lumen output of most of the typical white LEDs sold on eBay. Regardless of viewing angle, throw is determined solely by brightness, not by lumens, so these should have at least twice the throw of most white LEDs.

As an aside, I wish all LED manufacturers would start specifying lumen output so as to give purchasers some idea of the relative efficiency of various brands. Mcd isn't always useful, especially when some of these eBay sellers seem very sloppy about specifying viewing angle. A high mcd LED with a very narrow viewing angle is useless for anything except a very bright indicator light.