Inova X1 question

flashlite

Enlightened
I have a blue X1 and I was curious as to whether it was just the optics that gave the beam the blue color or if the LED itself was also blue. I sent Inova an email which stated my question in a clear and concise way and the response I got back was "the X1 has an AR coating on the lens" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Can anyone tell me if the colored X1's all contain white LED's?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly suspect that they used a blue LED. Everything else would make no sense. However, I can't find anything definitive on the web right now. Has someone around here taken apart one of the colored ones?

B@rt

Flashaholic
The optics of the X-1 are clear glass with an Anti-Reflective coating, wich causes the bluish appearance of it. This does not alter the color of the light emitted by the led. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blue Inova X1 has a clear lens with a blue LED. The green X1 has a clear lens with a green LED. The white X1 has a clear lens with a white LED.

PJD

flashlite

Enlightened
Does the lens on the green & white X1 also have a blue tint due to the AR coating?

Aloft

Enlightened
I've got a few X1's (love 'em!), all white. I notice a bluish tint to the outside of the "spot" it throws, but I'm sure that's due to some refraction of the lens. The bulk of the spot is a nice white, so I'm sure the LED is white too.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I also get that bluish tinge to the outer perimeter of the beam; the rest of the beam is white like it should be.
I believe it is an effect of the lens, and should be nothing whatsoever to be concerned about.

Here's the beam photograph from the web page I have about the Inova X1:

inovax13.jpg

This photograph was taken at a distance of 12 inches.

From my website:

The beam of the X1 is virtually perfectly circular, with a thin green and blue "fringe" right around the perimeter. This is a perfectly normal occurrance when focusing any white LED with a lens like this, and does not in any way indicate a problem with the flashlight.

capnal

Enlightened
Last night I was using mine outside in some very dark areas. Don't know if there was very fine dust in the air or not (didn't appear to be) but it was the first time I remember actually "seeing" the beam as it threw out of the X1. It was really neat to look at, tapered cone shape. I was able to make this beam out probably a good 18" from the light before its affects were too hard to distinguish.

Mine still made a hard edge spot probably 30 feet or more away. Yes, I, too am getting the fine blue circle.

Aloft

Enlightened
I've seen the "beam" effect too. . . you're right, it was pretty cool the first time I saw it. Now that it's getting dark earlier, I am continually amazed at how far the "spot" of the X1 throws. It's a "love it or hate" it light for many CPF'ers, I'm in the "love it" category.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My white X1 got stolen, so I replaced it over the weekend with a blue (handpicked for beam and brightness) one from Frye's. (Gotta love Inova for that handy hole in the package so you can test 'em before buying 'em). You can see the beam even better on my blue one than you could with the white one. I just ordered a green X1 also. This light just feels about perfect in the hand and the pocket, and is great little package for "throw-freaks". All mine have worked fine with AA lithiums.

BTW, here's tip for the "throw-freaks". Take your X1 out in the backyard and create some instant fog with a fine spray bottle of water. You can do beam comparisons between lights that you otherwise would not be able to see in normal clear air. (Hey, we're beam-aholics too, right?!):D

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The halo around the beam is really a rainbow. You can see all the colors if you look long enough.

Does anyone have a better spotlight?

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
Would you recommend the blue or green one for night usage? I want one, too!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll know after my green X1 arrives tomorrow. I have a green Streamlight Stylus that seems to have a beam that's easier to see than my blue Stylus.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked this up on Streamlight.com
This is the power rating for the Streamlight Stylus:
Arctic White 12,000 millicandelas
Ice Blue 5,000 millicandelas
Navigation Green 15,000 millicandelas
Flame Red 16,200 millicandelas

Since they vary, maybe one is brighter.
This might be the case for the X1, also.
p.s. the Ice blue rating may be low by 10,000.
Does a certain color led tend to run brighter than another color?

redcar

Enlightened
I just got an X1 and the X5 yesterday. I too saw the little particles in the air in front of the x1 at night. Those were my first Inova's. I'm a Surefire and Pelican/UK guy and was blown away by the simple elegance and feel of the Inova's. Probably have to order an X0 next week. I also noticed the hint of a rainbow in the spot. You can also see some details in the light if you hold the light 2 to 8 inches away from a piece of paper and 'focus' it back and forth. The ar coating on the lens looks very much like the lenses on binoculars.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from very dark nights up in the San Bernadino mountains. The throw king of all my little pocket lightsabers was my new Palight eLight with a green LED. My blue X1, my white Palight eLight, my white X1, and my new Garrity LED Aluminum flashlight (all spot-beamers) were no match for the green eLight. I should be getting my green X1 tomorrow and I'm anxious to compare it to the green LED eLight.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
...I should be getting my green X1 tomorrow and I'm anxious to compare it to the green LED eLight.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use green lights much of the time and think that they are great. I've often wondered what the X1 would be like in green. I suspect that it could be VERY useful. I'm also curious about what effect the INOVA optical system will have on the often ringy and troublesome green LEDs.

I eagerly anticipate your report. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Tentou said:
Would you recommend the blue or green one for night usage? I want one, too!

[/ QUOTE ]
All other things being equal, green should BE brighter than white and SEEM brighter than any other color of light to human eyes. Human eyes are most sensitive to the green part of the spectrum in both scotopic and photopic modes. As long as color recognition is NOT a requirement you get more bang for your buck with green, IMO.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I find if I use distictly green light for very long...

...examples would be "superbright" 5MM Green from Frys and Everled in green...

It really screws up my color recognition, making me see distinctly red everything. I don't like it!

Anyone want to trade a green for a white Eled???