Tint - it's all relative

HesNot

Enlightened
Tint - it\'s all relative

OK - I just got my first drop in module, a MM Lite LuxIII and quickly modified my red Mini to host it. Turn it on and the optics produce a slightly uneven beam, but quite bright and at least to my initial view a nice white tint. Pretty much as advertised. Then I compared it to my Arc LSHP and Arc4+ rev1 and that's when the relative thing begins. I can't decide if the Arcs are that much whiter - in which case Peter is really doing a great job of fulfilling the "P" and "+" monikers, or if they are simply different. The MM Lite still seems pretty white to me unless I'm comparing it directly to the Arcs. Compared to any 5mm of course it is really white. After trying to figure out if they were simply slightly different tints (i.e. the Arcs were more blue the the MM was more purple or green) I've finally given up caring, since the MM is rarely used simultaneously with anything else in real applications other than an incandescent.

The lesson for me is that comparing two lights together - particularly at two very different price points - is not a very worthwhile activity.

Mattman

Enlightened
Re: Tint - it\'s all relative

I had a L3T MM Lite and I can also say that it's color was a little bit on the greenish side. BUT, I didn't notice it until I compared it to other lights. I'm kinda partial to a slight bluish tint (if I have to have a tint), but the MM Lite was great for anything but direct color comparisons with bluer lights. Have fun getting that optic centered! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HesNot

Enlightened

Mattman - I agree that I prefer blue if I have to have tint at all. I've tinkered with the optic some and it is not the most straightforward process, o-ring or not, so I appreciate the vote of support!

Fat

Newly Enlightened

I have a real white 1 watter which i like so much that i cant help trying to find something similar to it.Made me sold off two other lights thats slightly off tint.Its giving me a real hard time, i just can't make myself like a reddish/purpurlish/green type of tint.Yellow tint is tolerable but white/light bluish is my favourite.

stockae92

Enlightened

i have a madmax+ Q3 that's a little blue-ish when powered with fresh batteries

and its a little yellow-ish when its running out of juice

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Yeah, Size15s once posted three golden rules of flashaholism where one was that thou shalt not compare you dexpensive LED-lights with one another because even those who looked very white before will have a tint when viewed next to another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And that is true, but so what?
I do not care about a little tint as long as the LED is white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bk

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Every white luxeon I've ever seen is pure snow white compared to 99% of the white 5mm LEDs, which all tend strongly blue one way or another.

The only exception to that rule is the first white LED light I ever owned - a campfire keyfob light that cost $15 when white LEDs were still a bit new.