Can someone translate a German phrase for me?

bigcozy

Enlightened
I just bought a Uhr Kraft watch and everywhere the logo is it has the phrase:

Die Zeit der Zeit....

What does that mean?

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the literal translation doesn't convey the intended meaning. There's some other meaning that's getting past us, maybe something like "the time of this era". Perhaps some of the German CPF'ers can help.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The words are literally "the time the time" but the first one is feminine and the second one is masculine. I have no idea what the significance of a change in gender is in that phrase. I just have high school German. It could have something to do with one being plural. Gender changes to feminine for plurals. Maybe it is something like "Time of the times."

Mark2

Enlightened
I think paulr is right, it means "the time of the era". It could also mean "It's the time of the time" like "It's the time of the dinosaurs", but I think it's the first one.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Literal translation of Uhr Kraft is Clock Power. I took a few years of German in High School and most phrases are never what they say. So this one could mean The powe of Time or somthing to that effect.
Cameron

Mark2

Enlightened
It cannot mean "the power of time", it most likely means "the time of the era" in the sense of "the cool watch of our time". The other possibility is that it means "the time of the time" in the sense of "We live in a time where time is of great importance".

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
i would translate it like "era of the time" or "era of time measuring instruments"

speaking out "Uhr Kraft" can also imply "Urkraft", that means "primal/primary power"

Greta

Flashaholic
My take on it would be more along the lines of like "Miller time"... so this would be "Time time"... or as Mark stated, similar to an era... like the dinosaur era or the IceAge or prehistoric times, etc... "Time era".

Kiessling

Flashaholic
coachbigdog ... if you are referring to a certain Rammstein song, it is a bit tricky ... playing with words. If it is, let me know so that I can explain the game to you. It is rather well made up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Die Zeit der Zeit" means the time of the time
but what it really should mean escapes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

"Uhr Kraft" is "Watch Power" but the sounds of the pronouncuation make it sound exactly like "Primal Power"

bk

paulr

Flashaholic
"der" is the masculine nominative but it's also the feminine genitive. So "Die Zeit der Zeit" is "The time" (nominative) "of the time" (genitive). I never took Latin but I think it works about the same way. Are Rastaman and Artar the same person? If yes, then his translation is definitely better than mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yep its from a band called ramstein.song iscalled du hast mich
u
u have
u have me
u
u have
u have me

u
u have
u have me

You
u have
u have me

guitar solo
u
u have
You have me
You have me
You have questioned me
You have questioned me
You have questioned me
and I have said nothing

Will you until death, (to) the edited
be true (to her) for all days?

No!
No!

be true (to her) for all days?

No!
No!

(instrumental)

You
You have
You have me

You
You have
You have me

You
You have
You have me
You have me
You have questioned me
You have questioned me
You have questioned me
and I have said nothing

Will you until death, (editedWill you until the death of the editedlove her also in bad days?

No!
No!

be true to her...?

No!
No!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ah Raggie ... nice translation there, BUT you are missing one important point:

vocals:

DU --> You

Du hast --> You have, BUT it souonds trhe same as "Du hasst" which means "You hate"

Du hast mich --> You have ... me , BUT it could also mean "You hate me"

Du hast mich gefragt ---> You have asked me

Only with the last line it is clear that a question was asked, every line before could well mean "You hate me" which is very strong if you hear it in German. A very good game with the language!

Raggie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for the ttranslation
Rammstein /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bk