Aleph build and switch make up decisions.

I am interested in voting in this contest

• Need Help

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opinions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Barefootone

Enlightened
Well I'd like to ask for some input from my fellow Flashaholics. I need to figure out how to have the McE2s switch made up with the proper resistors. The switch will be made up for me by Don for the Aleph I'm planning on building myself once all the parts are available. I want a 1x123 power pack with a Lux III. I need to figure out which Bad Boy converter I need to use. I will be using the light for Geocaching in daylight and some adventures of going into caves and rock formations. I would apprechate any help and input to get this figured out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif . I have to add this on, I'm not sure how I got this vote box on here and I'd like to get it off!
Thanks, Jeff<font color="blue"> </font>

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real question is what are your priorities? Do you need long runtime or maximum brightness? Since you're going to be using a two-stage switch, I assume you want the high level to be as bright as possible.

For 1x123, don't bother using anything higher than around 600ma. This is about the highest current the badboy can deliver when drawing from 1x123. The nextgen badboy replacement is supposedly more efficient, but it's not clear how long it will be before it is available.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building on what tylerdurden said, it is hard to say which ohm you want. I like the 60ohm in mine, but most like the 22 or 30 in a 1x123. It just depends on how bright you want your low level.

mut

Barefootone

Enlightened
Thanks to Tylerdurden and Mut so far for their input. I think I would like my low level around what an ARC AAA/P puts out. I'd like the high level to be much brighter. I was thinking that a BB 650 would work nicely as recommend by another builder. Now what seems to be the $64,000? <font color="red"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Which resistor is the best choice to put in the McE2S switch? Maybe someone else can shed some light on it for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.
Thanks, Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just compared an ARC AAA to my McE2S-30ohm with a head running a BB/700 and they are very close to the same.

mut

Barefootone

Enlightened
Hey Mut,
Thanks for the quick reply. It's good to hear that the 30 ohm makes a good comparison to the ARC AAA on low. Which LED is in your head with the BB 700? Thanks,
Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Whan making these comparisons, make sure the lighst have fresh batteries. The AAA drops off slowly, but there is quite a difference between a fresh one and one that's had 2 or 3 hours of use.

The BEST way to determine what you want is to buy some resistors at radio shack, build the light and try each resistor. The resistor connects to the battery tube and the bottom of the battery. You can just hold it in place whiel evaluating.

The Luxeon has very wide ranges of performance within the same bins. You will not be able to accurately predict how yours will work by asking someone else how bright their's is.

I base this post on the experience gained selling over 100 two stage spring assemblies for the ARC LSH line.

Daniel

Barefootone

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif <font color="blue"> </font> The plot thickens. A good point by gadget_lover, but I think I'm going to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif. I will have to weigh my options.
Thanks gadget_lover,
Jeff

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Hey barefootone, no need to get frustrated.

Here's another view of the same mess. You are about to build a good powerful light. The low beam will be useful in certain circumstances. If low beam was 6 lumens you'd find yourself using it like you would a Dorcy AA with three leds. If it was dimmer you'd use it like you do an ARC AAA. Either way you'd still use it. If you start without expectations you'll find whatever light you get from the 30 ohm will probably work well for you once you get used to it.

I have most of my lights set for about 50 to 70 ma on low. I determine the required resistor using the process from my post above. I happen to have a stock of thousands of resistors inherited from my late step-dad to experiment with.

Daniel

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Barefootone,

No matter what level you choose, you aren't *stuck* with it if you choose to go higher or lower. It is real easy to swap out resistor PCB's in the tail switch.

Barefootone

Enlightened
Thanks to McGizmo & Gadget_Lover for the words of encouragement. I'm starting to see the pieces come together with the info. that everyone is giving so freely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. There are just so many choices of LED,BB and Switch, at least I know I want to use a 1x123 power pack.I just want to build my Aleph the best way I can with the properties that will suit me the best.This will be a much different build then my first build which is listed in the LED forum (I should have listed in this forum DAH). McGizmo thanks for the notion that I can change out the resistor if I'm not satisfied good point. Gadget_Lover as far as the anticipated level of light, when you don't know what to expect the result would probably be good at what ever level of light it comes in at, point well taken. I have to say that all you guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif for giving me all the support and advice! I think I have come to a decision about the build make-up, but I will debate with myself for awhile longer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I can't wait till all the parts are in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif. Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barefootone, As Don mentioned, pick up an extra resistor PCB with a different resistor and try them both to see wich one you like better. They are very easy to change boards. You'll wind up getting another kit soon anyway once you're sucked into buying more lights!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Barefootone,
Not to put any pressure on you but I was fortunate to pick up the E-screws, and Aleph 1 heads yesterday and am now building heads to give to Wayne this evening when we meet with some other flashaholics. Of course I need to get back away from the computer and on to assembly.... Dang, I am going to get to start making lights myself later next week after I finish up with the receiving, kitting and other labor issues in getting the parts ready for use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Barefootone,
Not to put any pressure on you but I was fortunate to pick up the E-screws, and Aleph 1 heads yesterday and am now building heads to give to Wayne this evening when we meet with some other flashaholics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can vouch for that! I saw these two slinking around in the dark at the back of Don's van. I figure if they were doing something honorable at least one of them would have turned on a flashlight!

Seriously, I also some some of the Aleph models up close. They were beautiful pieces of art!

Danile

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barefootone, you might want to read my post in the other Aleph thread because it is related to your post in this thread, don't worry , be happy.

Barefootone

Enlightened
Hey Keithhr,
Thanks for the heads up on your thread. I read what you had to say and it sounds good especially how the Aleph looks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks, Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>