Light "Screams" at 18 MPH

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light \"Screams\" at 18 MPH

As I've posted, our local Radio Shack Dealership is closing after 20 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It was operated by a real gentleman who became my friend. Our town has lost 8% of its population, recently, since NAFTA closed the two, largest, factories. Main street is in trouble.

The 50% off, closing sale, prompted me to buy "one last thing." For two years, I've been waiting for this item to go on sale - finally it did. I picked up a red, LED light, that just happened to have a wind speed and direction meter on the other end.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, so I fly kites and shoot off Estes rockets and always thought an anemometer might be usefull. There are no moving parts in the meter plus it indicates wind direction. Hmmm...pressure sensitive transducers, perhaps? On a whim. I hollered into the meter and got a reading of six MPH. Hollering louder produced nine MPH. As I suspected from my frequently ringing ears, my wife and daughter got, respectively, 12 and 18 MPH on the meter! No wonder my ears bleed!

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Re: Light \"Screams\" at 18 MPH

Jayflash
Now THAT'S funny. I flew kites many years ago. My all time favorite is my delta with a 15 ft wingspan. I fly it on 1000' of 100 # test dacron line. It flies at an angle that will make your neck ache. The best time to fly here in Arizona is at night where the wind is steady. The "floor" is about 500' so it takes a long launch to get going. sometimes I fly a payload that consists of my kit made strobe light. With the kite flying all the way out, you can still see the strobe on the ground if it's really dark outside.

bubbacatfish

Enlightened

My friends and I used to fly 2 line delta kites about 10years ago, had a heck of a time dogfighting, you can really mess up a kite if you hit it just right with yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Used to fly them at the beach, get 'em going and then get them out over the water, fun way to meet girls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

One of my stunt kites is a 6' Flexifoil. It's an older one that had the very rigid front spar. Even in moderate winds it would generate enough pull to drag me across the turf in the park & I weigh about 175#. The maker claims it can readh 100 MPH. I kinda believe it..

bubbacatfish

Enlightened

Don't want to get off topic in... "Off Topic" but I loved being dragged around by my kite, it's in the 5-6 foot range & I could get airborne for some really good jumps back then (sub 200lbs) not I could probably anchor a zepplin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif.
Mind you put a couple of big foils together on the right day & I'd probably giggle myself into a heart attack (but who can afford that kind of rig these days...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Our main street does have a few standout stores in spite of the empty ones. Try www.uniqueflyingobjects.com for online kite shopping. It's known as the UFO store around here. Chow Chong, the proprietor, got me hooked on kites about five years ago. We regularly have good wind off the lake and a long, wide, sand beach to fly kites from, without getting too close to others. One of these nights I'll have to put one up with some strobes on it.

Two Rivers (pop. 12,600) is also home to what may be the USA's oldest hardware store, Suettinger Hardware, established in 1852 and, possibly, the largest toy store, Evan's Department store. For a tiny town, we have some unique features - like two rivers (who'da guessed) and miles of sand beach along Lake Michigan.

Come visit for Great Lake's fishing (lake trout, coho, and king salmon, perch) kite flying, and camping at Point Beach State Park.