Arc AAA-Premium or Matterhorn Hi-Power?

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the market for a keychain light now. Does anyone have any links or information regarding these two lights?

cy

Flashaholic
For a small single AAA led light. ARC AAA was the first and still the best. Hands down.

I would venture further to guess, ARC AAA is own by more cpf members than any other one led light.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy both and let us know!
Actually, get the basic Arc AAA and save up some bucks for the Peak Luxeon AAA with variable output. That way you can have two radically different lights for different situations.
Basically, if you think in your own mind that they are radically different... you won't feel bad getting both. Besides, the Arc AAA is as traditional to CPF keychains as pickups are to Texas, tornadoes to Oklahoma etc.
Those Arcs are the gateway drug to flashaholism though, handle with care.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said: tornadoes to Oklahoma etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Peak 1AAA 3LED on order. Will compare it to my Arc and let you know.

Now here's where I get myself into trouble. I think the stock CPF answer of "buy an Arc" is getting a little old. No doubt it was the best in its time, but there are other products out there now. Not saying the Peak is better. Don't have it yet so I don't know. Just suggesting that we need to keep open minds.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
The Peak out throws the Arc but has a bit less flood. The Peak is a bit longer than the Arc but has a nifty threaded key fob end. I like how the Peak is available in brass as well as aluminum. I have several Arc AAAs and love them but now EDC the Peak. You're going to like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al

Enlightened
I have both the Peak Ultra-power AAA 3led brass and some Arc AAA's. Outward appearances aside (Peak brass is a real eye-grabber) the Arc AAA's are still the real eye-openers.

DaveH

Enlightened
I ordered two peak 3 LED AAA light 2 months or so ago after ARC still hadn't shipped my AAA order. I like ARC's look and feel a little better, but the Peak is much brighter, and more importantly they are actually available for you to buy.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said: Now here's where I get myself into trouble. I think the stock CPF answer of "buy an Arc" is getting a little old. No doubt it was the best in its time, but there are other products out there now. Not saying the Peak is better. Don't have it yet so I don't know. Just suggesting that we need to keep open minds.

[/ QUOTE ]
I always keep an open mind. Constantly comparing ARC AAA to other possible backup replacements. The closest on so far is the TNC N-cell. Hopefully I'll have a D'mo lux mod soon. With the appearance of AAA size Li-ion cells, things should get interesting.

Sure you can always find brighter, but then your runtime goes down or the form factor gets too big.

Arc's HA is the best in the business with Surefire being it's only equal for HA quality control. Having a bomb-proof case is a requirement for dethroning Arc AAA.

Arc already over-drives Nichia to the limit, so unless Nichia or someone else figure how to exceed the current lumens/watts ratio. IMHO a small Luxeon light is more likely to knock down Arc AAA. Not more of the same.

Li14430 (my EDC 7x24) is the current state of the art in small flashlights and ARC AAA-P is still the best backup light available anywhere.

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all the information. Really informative. I'm just gonna have to go with BentHeadTX and get them both. I've been interested in flashlights since I was a kid, but this CPF website has really "opened" up my horizons as a a flashaholic. Thanks once again guys!

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Arc's HA is the best in the business with Surefire being it's only equal for HA quality control.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I'm fond of Arcs but what is this statement based upon?
HA-III is HA-III is HA-III.....
It either is or it isn't.
When I hear quality control I think about color consistency and in that department Arc can't even see SureFire's taillights.

My $0.02.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Arc's HA is the best in the business with Surefire being it's only equal for HA quality control.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I'm fond of Arcs but what is this statement based upon?
HA-III is HA-III is HA-III.....
It either is or it isn't.
When I hear quality control I think about color consistency and in that department Arc can't even see SureFire's taillights.

My $0.02.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is based upon having worked in a production plating shop. I done all types of anodizing. Everything from Hard Anodizing, chem dip, clear to color anodizing.

I'm quite familiar with quality controls issues of anodizing and color is not a true indicator of quality HA. IMHO Surefire has the best HA quality controls in the business, with ARC being the only other mfg at the same level. Don't let color fool you, it could be dyed.

There is no non-distructive tests for HA, unless you have access to the bare part before anodizing. Quality HA is at least 1mill. Ask PK, I bet he'll verify Surefire's HA is at least 1mill.

There are several different tests that I won't go into, but the easiest is the scratch test. HA has a rockwell of 63+. most quality knives have a rockwell of 59.

Take your ARC AAA out and try to scratch with you knife. If it penatrates then the HA is thin. If it bounces off, then you've got quality HA. test takes some gall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy,
I am going to do the knife test on Monday to check the HA-III. Peak VS Arc and see how it works out. At work there is a 3 red LED Peak AA light laying around and I have a few Arcs to carve up.
I have no problems carving up flashlights as long as they are not mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

As far as the tornado crack on Oklahoma goes... I need to retract that statement and a few others also.

Oklahoma does not have a lot of tornadoes

Texas does not have a lot of pickups

Florida is not familiar with hurricanes

It is rare there is an earthquake in California

It rarely gets cold in Nome, Alaska

Seattle is not very wet

Arizona is not very hot

Nebraska has wonderful mountain ranges.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Arc already over-drives Nichia to the limit, so unless Nichia or someone else figure how to exceed the current lumens/watts ratio. IMHO a small Luxeon light is more likely to knock down Arc AAA. Not more of the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too am waiting on a production 1AAA Luxeon. Hopefully under driven so that it's still much brighter than a typical 1LED but still has acceptable runtimes. Until then, I like the way Peak has incorporated upto 3 LEDs in their 1AAA models. They're going for added brightness by using multiple light sources rather than over driving. It's an idea I like. Can't wait for mine to arrive.