Turtlelite 1 real or Look-a-like? HELP!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Howdy,

I'm a novice LED flashlight user that picked up a Turtlelight 1 recently. However, it has a yellow body. The only pictures I have ever seen on the WEB of the Turtlelite 1 show it with a dark green body.

For you pros out there, did LED Corp ever make a yellow body Turtlelite? Maybe I ended up with an old model? Or, maybe I was duped?

--Norm in Texas

JollyRoger

Enlightened
This is correct, except that Ledcorp does not make the ground-down led bulbs for the Cool Blue. In fact, I believe they're made in Asia. I was told that they are the same design, but of inconsistent quality. The one I bought (Cool Blue) seemed just fine.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification.

I was sure I read somewhere that LEDcorp`s bulbs are patent pending, that led me to believe they made`em all.

But not having experienced a Dorcy Cool Blue (we can`t get them here in Wales) I`ve never seen the two side by side.

rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, sir. Very appropriate screen name you`ve got there
grin.gif

The yellow Turtlelite, is it genuine? Well, yes and no. Yes, it is the same as the Turtlelite that LEDcorp sells from their web site, but No, it`s not actually a LEDCorp Turtlelite. What you`ve probably got there is the Dorcy Cool Blue. Same LED, same body, different colour, less than half the price. About 8 bucks at Wallys last time I heard about them.

As far as I know, LEDcorp just buy in empty Dorcy flashlight bodies silkscreened with their Turtlelite logo, and stick in that specially ground LED/PR base bulb. Seems that Dorcy were so impressed with the result that they contracted LEDcorp to produce those LED bulbs for them to stick in their own version, which is what you see in the Cool Blue. They also do an aluminum focussable one with the same bulb- LEDcorp`s is black while Dorcy`s is blue. Dorcys is also cheaper too, that one was about $15-ish I think.

Now exactly why the Turtlelite costs so much compared to the Cool-Blue, I`ll never know. Surely silkscreening doesn`t cost that much?

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif