• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: 4D Mag with resistored Luxeon 3 TV1K

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one spare 4D Mag outfitted with a Hotlips and TV1K, just like the OA4D Cookbook one, except this one is a Luxeon 3 TV1K and the resistor is a 0.56 ohm one. Effective drive current on 4 fresh Duracells is 1.3 amps for a serious dose of light.

Asking $70 for the light. Shipping may go as high as $15 depending on where you are in the world (I'm not in the US) because this is a relatively big light. CC/non-CC PayPal accepted. PM me for offers, etc.. I can be flexible about the resistor as well, just name the resistance you want and I'll try my best to put it in.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
what color is the light?
what is the tint like on the LED?
does it have glow powder around the emitter?
does the resistor allow this to be regulated for constant output or just to allow the use of rechargeables?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Housing is black, the TV1K tint is supposed to be slightly yellowish. When not comparing against my TWOL reference source, it seems white enough. When I am comparing, it appears slightly warmer, the TWOL appears cooler.

Unfortunately the light may not be "glow powder compatible".. I turned the Luxeon 90 degrees to the wire holes to provide strain relief as I have seen the Master do with my TWOL, so the wires show and block the area where you would normally put glow powder. I suppose you could try to apply some, just that it'd be blocked partially. There is a little bit of superglue in the area as well as extra insurance against shorting (though I haven't shorted any).

Resistors don't provide any regulation, they just lower the current draw to acceptable levels. You can DD a Lux3 on 3 D cells, but 4D in this Mag will cook the Lux 3 very, very fast without a resistor, so I put a 0.56 ohm in. The light should be NiMH compatible as well though I have not verified this as I have no NiMH D cells. Calculations show it will probably run 1.2 amps at 5V (4x1.25, I calculate 1.25 because most run a little higher).

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I don't quite understand thr distance of the beamshot.Is it 5 feet away or 14? Is the hotspot that big or is that just a close up of it.My mag4d has a hotspot that is very small with a huge corona so I'm not to sure what I'm looking at?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Range14ft refers to the distance to the wall from the light, 5ft refers to the height of the image in real life. At 800ms exposure, the camera is capturing a lot more light so the hotspot appears bigger. If I use a shorter exposure time, the hotspot appears smaller. The corona is huge, it extends way beyond the small little beamshot.

800ms was used in order to provide useable images for small lights, I took this one at 800 in order to compare it with the smaller lights. For more powerful lights I should be using shorter exposures, perhaps..

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reference Duracell's D cell datasheets. According to the Typical Discharge Characteristics at 21degC chart, a 1.5 amp load will drain the cells in 5 hours. As with all resistored lights, current draw falls with battery voltage, so I'd say you'd get more than 5 hours.

My other TWOL with 1 ohm resistor and ~1A draw is seeing 10+ hours of runtime.