Which Luxeon tint is most acceptable to you?

SJACKAL

Enlightened
They all have some tint more or less right? Which one is most acceptable to you?

Yellow? Green? Cyan? Blue? Purple? Pink? Whatever.

I think the more extreme tints like purple and green are very unacceptable.

pyro

Enlightened
I prefer a liiitle green over the other tints,
but the LuxIIIs i own show there tint only if
compared to another Luxeon.

ubermensch

Enlightened
The one that I liked the best was an R2H--a little dingy, slightly beige, with no green, and it had really good color rendition.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I can live with a little bluish or purplish tinge, but I hate Luxeons that have that characteristic "rotten cat urine green" color.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

A prime example of that color can be found in my original CMG Reactor:

reactor3.jpg

It's like a swimming pool that's gone to pot for a year or so, and the owner throwing a kegger and inviting all the party guests to use it as a urinator.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has a tint, I prefer slightly pink or yellow as long as it's only slight.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acceptable (if tint is slight):
Pink
Purple

Marginally Acceptable:
Blue (only if its very slightly noticable). Not acceptable if the beam looks as blue as a 5mm LED.

NOT Acceptable:
Green (cat urine green being the worst)
Yellow

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a slightly purple Luxeon at the moment. It is my first. Still irritates the heck out of me! Much whiter than 5mm LEDs. I am only guessing here, but I would accept a slightly yellow tint only because it resembles the good ole incandescent.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I hate green, and if your lux is slightly green, and you happened to aim it at a surface which is slighlty green, the beam turns cat urine green.

Elijah

Newly Enlightened
How extreme are the tint variations between binning? What bins are comprable to the Nichia whites in terms of color? Are there any bins that are a true white?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hm ... I do not care aas long as it is a shade of white without any major disturbances.
If you compare two perfectly white LEDs side to side both wuill suddenly appear tinted and you will be dissatisfied. Right now, I don't care any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
I think all Luxeon lights should be tested at the factory and have their tint characteristics printed on the retail package. I, for one, would be pissed if I bought a Luxeon that...well, looked like ****.

cy

Flashaholic
My preference is pure white with no tint. That being said, I agreed with Kiessling. Shine another LED next to each other and all bets are off about what tint they will appear.

Take for an example my X3T, which to me has a very light yellow tint. The person I purchased from claimed it was pure white w/no tint. Then in tracking down the history of my X3T, the previous owner claimed it had a very light green tint.

PR head was positively identified as the same by unique markings. I chose an Xbin as an example, due to the close scutiny an Xbin receives.

Three different people lookings at the same beam. coming up with 3 different opinions of what tint X3T is putting out.

So when someone asks me what tint a light is I'm selling. I tell them what it is for me and assume it will be different for them.