streamlight 3AA tasklight vs. 3AA twin-task

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering if the Streamlight 3AA tasklight is bright enough & has a long enough throw to compete/replace the Streamlight 3AA twin-task which you toggle between a xenon bulb & 6 leds (I don't know what kind)or how bright.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well first, the 3AA Twin-Task only has three LEDs, (the 3C TT does have six).

The Task Light Is a bit short in throw, and lumens, compared to the TT 3AA Xenon, but is close enough, that I use the Luxeon as my choice for general tasks. It seems to go for hours, without noticeable dimming (although I know it does), before I replace the batteries.

I think that the inevitable bulb demise of the incandescent makes the choice for me.

Both the lights have identical handling properties, which I initially was sure I WOULDN'T like. Surprise, the longer length makes them easy to hold, and use. Not pocketlights for sure, but useful.

The Twin-Task WOULD have longer life on the 3 LEDs however.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
You could also get someone to mod the tasklight for you.I just sold mine,it was my favorite light at the time.I bought it from someone here who had modded it with a better reflector and whiter brighter lux.Just a thought.But if you are comparing just stock,then I'd still go with the tasklight because it will stay brighter longer than the xenon bulb.

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
forgive my ignorance, but is the single led on the task light brighter than the three leds on the twin task?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is! They are different types of LEDs. The ones in the twin task are 5mm LEDs which have a suggested max current of 30mA. The tasklight has a 1W Luxeon LED. This one has a suggested max of 350mA. In both cases, the LEDs can be overdriven. With proper heatsinking, the Luxeon LED can be pushed to 500-700mA! without any negative consequences.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
sleid-The single LUXEON of the Task Light gives about 10-15 times the illumination of a single 5mm LED of the Twin-Task.

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
thank you for "enlightening" me - sorry I couldn't stop myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif