Inova X0 + Pila 168 anybody done it? (works)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if it will work. I tried to put a Pila 168S in but it's a bit too fat. It'll go in but I don't think it'll come back out. A 150S however fits snugly but comes out. Before I try to open this thing up, does anybody know if the converter would even run on 3.7V?

TIA,
LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inova X0 + Pila 168 anybody done it?

OK I just measured the 2 Pilas the 168S=16.85mm the 150S=16.72mm. I was wondering if the difference is small enough to remove without fancy equipment; perhaps something like a dowel and sandpaper? In any event I take it no one else has tried this combo so perhaps it's up to me to destroy a light for "the cause". Any suggestions welcome.

LT

balrog

Enlightened

If you are prepared to forgo the Pila look and feel to your batteries, you can actually remove the Pila wrapper to make the battery slimmer. Don't worry, there's another perfectly good wrapper under neath with the Label Copia on it. I guess Pila rebadged them. I discovered this trying to fit a 168S into a Super Flashlight III.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Balrog,

This I didn't know. Beats what I had in mind doing. I think I'll try your idea first. Be interesting if the circuit can handle them.

I've got a Hyperlux V, same body as the Super Light I think, and Pilas drop right in but like I said my 150s are smaller.

Thanks again.
LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Balrog you're my hero./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif It worked! But catch this, it wasn't a Copia label but another Pila label??? The first had a clear window where you could see the label "Pila-168S 1400mA" on a paper put, but not stuck, on the inner label.

And the light comes on but it's daylite here so testing will come later. Looks promising though.

Thanks,
LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It worked! OK the Pila fits and I've done a quick measurement Pila ~63fc; 2x123 ~73fc.

I'm going to run the Pila down then put a fresh charge on it and see what happens.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....its that simple? You just pull the outer wrapper off!

I've got to try that when I get home. Does anyone know if the Pila will work in a PM6?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: 1 hour 10 minutes on the "tired" Pila and it's still at 63fc. It's also just barely warm but I couldn't tell you if it's poor thermal mgmt or not driven hard.

MSaxatilus, don't know if a Pila would help the PM6 LED since I believe it's direct drive.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: 3 hours 58fc (oops, I've been on the 10x scale but you get the idea) I'm going to continue to let it run till tomorrow just to see what happens. Also finally luke warm tail to head; hand warmer this isn't.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal Tic,

Actually, I have a modified 5W sandwich stacked in a PM6 body. So if the Pila fits in there, that would be sweet!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus,

I tried an unmodified Pila 168S in my PM6 with a 5W McGiz/Bulk setup in it and it fits and fires fine. Hope this helps.

LT

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MSaxatilus,

I tried an unmodified Pila 168S in my PM6 with a 5W McGiz/Bulk setup in it and it fits and fires fine. Hope this helps.

LT

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?!?!? I'm tried putting mine into the same setup and it didn't fit at all? Is yours the silver or black model?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus,

My Pilas are silver w/black "cap". Just remember they are 168 "S" not "A" which are the smaller ones that fit Surefire.

One the X0- 4 hours then lights out, no moon mode at all. Fresh charged results to follow.

LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally had a chance to rerun this with a full Pila. At the start it was 700fc but within an hour it dropped to ~580fc then it died at 4 hours 50 minutes. That's all folks. Thanks for reading.

LT